Live rock added to tank growing green algae

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by iocheretyanny, Jan 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iocheretyanny

iocheretyanny Plankton

Hi,

I just added some Live Cured Rock I bougth from a local store, and it had soem pretty purple/red Algae. It had no green Algae at all.

I only had it for about 5 days, but I am beginning to see some green algae growing.

Is that expected?

I am using a regular 15W fluorecent light that came with my tank. Is that the cause?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes, I would expect that, or not be surprised about it.
    What grows on your rock will be determined by what was in your tank to begin with, your water parameters, what type of makeup water you use, and your lighting.

Jim

4. corebond

corebond Astrea Snail

This is to be expected. Are you still cyclying you tank?

5. iocheretyanny

iocheretyanny Plankton

No, cycling is done. I have replaced my 14 watt light with 80 watt dual fixture from Curent USA, yesterday, hope that will help.

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

You might want to check your nutriant levels too. A new tank growing lots of algae can be high in phosphates. Keep skimming for all you are worth even if it is a little wet. Also, are you adding CA? If you have high phosphates CA can help precipitate it out.
    What are your water parameters?

7. iocheretyanny

iocheretyanny Plankton

I have not been adding CA, and do not have a measurign kit for it, I will buy it. Besides AM, NI,NA, and now CA what else woudl you recommend I measure?

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Phosphate and allot of us also have magnesium and iodine (spesially if you will be dosing iodine in the tank) Never dose without knowing the level of what you dose in the tank.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

hi,
    you might want to alter how much food you are putting into your tank. Too much food leads to high phosphates which leads to red, green and brown algae. Also, using snails, urchins and hermit crabs will help to cut down on your problem.
    The other thing you may want to try is, setting up a refugium. Place alot of caulerpa(macroalgae) in the tank, which competes for food with hair and slime algae(microalgae).
    The last thing to do are partial water changes. Be careful what water you use as well. Tap water has all sorts of pollutants in it. Your best bet is to use RO(reverse osmosis)water. Check your local pet shops because they may have ro water for you to use for free.
    Well, best of luck.
    tom

11. corebond

corebond Astrea Snail

Tell us more about your tank, size, inhabitants? Also, not all green algae is bad. It may be personalll preference unless it startes to take over corals.