Live bodies in the Hole. "Hotdog"

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Flyguysc, Mar 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Well technically inverts but live bodies none the same. Started my cycle back in Jan./18/14 And QT in Feb. Things finally came together this weekend and we bought a coral banded shrimp, fire shrimp, And a peppermint shrimp. Named them Rocky, Will, & scrat. Scrats that squirrel on Ice Age movie chasing that acorn all over creation. Did a water change as well , 17 gals. and my parameters stayed right on track. Awesome. ​

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would keep an eye on them CBS are notorious for attacking other smaller shrimp species.A large tank may help.:-/

4. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Yea my water hole is 90gals. If the little rascal needs more room there plenty outside the tank.:hammer:

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

So you must be getting close to the fish acquisitions, no?

6. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

After 4 weeks of quarantine I'll begin the Voyage to the bottom of the Sea. Sushi anyone?
    Thinking about putting some snails in while the fish acclimate. Any thoughts? :help::goldfish::thinking2:fish:

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Start with about 5 and add as needed as indicated by algae growth. Personally I like Mexican Turbos, Certh and Astraea. Personally I am not a huge fan of Hermits but small types are doable.

8. Click Here!

9. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

ADDED a eshopp's s120 skimmer today , did another 10% water change, cleaned the crap out of everything . I made a BIG MISTATE by adding Sachem's Marine buffer to my set up in 2/26/14- 2/28/14. My screw up, I did not read the directions. This product will not mix with salt water, freshwater only before introducing to the tank. Man this stuff is every where. Like snow. Its all over the tank's interior class walls, boy what a mess. I bought a Marine land HOB filter to help filter this crap out. Cleaned my sump filter pad added a new one along with my cycled one, cleaned my bio balls by soaking them in tank water. Besides all that things are good. My parameter are still on target except the no2- is a little high. Not 0.25 but some where in between. API kit. Thinking of adding microbe-lift nite-out 2.

10. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

My week old fire shrimp molted last night. Got up around three this morning looked into the tank with the twilight light on & thought that my Coral Banded shrimp had chopped my $39.99 fire shrimp in half. LoL. What a relief it was to wake up and find the molt lying in two pieces in the tank.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Congrats on your new additions. It's scary how much the molt looks like the live critter.

12. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Yea my LFS told a story of folks calling up in a panic thinking that their fire shrimp had babies. LOL.Go figure