Littleneck clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by devlzluv, Jul 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

Well I read on this forum that little neck clams reduce nitrate so I decided while at the store today figured wth and go for it. I got 6 of them only cost like 2 bucks and thru them into my sump to help with my nitrate problem. Ill let you guys know, my nitrates are about 40 right now so during water change this weekend I will test again and let you know the results. O ya they have been in the sump for bout 30 mins and have already opened up!

2. Click Here!

3. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

4. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

ya thats what I said but it sounds legit. It may be slightly warmer for them in our tanks but if it helps out then im all for it.

5. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

Definitely interesting...I'll watch for your progress, I wonder how long it would take to notice any results. Guess you'll find out. Cool idea!

6. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

ya hopefully I will start to see result with 24 hours but there open and feeding on whatever in the fuge. They open for about 20 mins then close then re open. Kinda cool to watch them

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

i'm interested too in the results.. dont change any of your daily habits, (ie. feeding,etc) so the test is valid..

8. Click Here!

9. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

O no keeping everythign the same, changing nothing. I even added some brocolli to the tank for my tang and going to continue to keep food always in there for him so if anything its adding more det to the water. I hope this works cuz its a easy and cheap way to reduce nitrates!

10. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

Heres a couple pics of the clams in action

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I think they look sharp.. If they do good I wouldn't mind getting a few..

They must be easy to keep..??

Later, Larry

12. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

From what I heard and did some further research. They bury themselves in the sand so key to have a dsb for them. 3 of them have already burrowed, there filter feeders so plankton prolly a must for these, but alot of people have kept them from 6-12 months before they died or have taken them out. Its kind of fun to watch these things go to town in the sand maybe i get lucky and they eat my CYANO!