Urgent Little white spots came in on snails

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Llubel89, Jul 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Llubel89

Llubel89 Astrea Snail

I bought a cleaner pack from reefcleaners.org (John) and now I have these white smooth circular spots coming off the snails and moving onto the glass of my tank.. Please tell me they are not flatworms!

2. Click Here!

3. Llubel89

Llubel89 Astrea Snail

4. Llubel89

Llubel89 Astrea Snail

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

They are the eggs of the snail you're holding.

1 person likes this.
  6. Llubel89

Llubel89 Astrea Snail

are they safe for my tank? I picked at the white spots on the shell of the snail i took out and they just burst. they are hard and don't seem to respond to my prodding how I thought flat worms would. Eggs are ok?

7. Llubel89

Llubel89 Astrea Snail

Thank you fsukum for the prompt and accurate response! I was freaking out for a second... Here is a picture of exactly what I saw in my tank from another website I found as well as a write up of Nerite Babies from the corresponding website and finally the website address.

Nerite babies: Nerites have separate genders and engage in internal fertilisation. They have a complex reproductive system to achieve this, and to produce nutrition-packed eggs in protective capsules. The white circular egg capsules are sometimes seen in rock pools, under rocks and in moist crevices. Each egg capsule may have more than 30 eggs. These hatch into free-swimming larvae that only later settle down to develop into snails.

Nerites snails (Nerita) on the Shores of Singapore

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

No problem. They are extremely common and I wouldn't expect to have any more snails roaming around your tank because of them :(.