Little hair and cyano in a newish tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by needmorecowbell, Feb 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

I have been pulling out some hair and what I think is cyano off of my sand bed. The tank was started in november and I have had 0 trates since the cycle. I use rodi water and do regular water changes. I just don't see what I'm doing wrong.. I keep corals and they are doing fine, even the acros. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Have u tested for phosphates? Some pics are really helpful but this is a time that most seem to get a little outbreak!

How often do you feed what?
    How much flow?
    What's ur cuc?
    Params?

4. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Get some hermits

5. needmorecowbell

I have some. They don't do much with it but wiped out the bubble algae on a frag plug. I also have turbo snails, an emerald crab, and a fire shrimp.

I heard that sea cucumbers help, is that true?

6. needmorecowbell

What about a sea lettuce slug?

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

You're not doing anything wrong. A 3 month tank is going to have algae. You'll go through several phases during the first 6 months to a year.

8. Click Here!

9. needmorecowbell

Ughh.. I thought diatoms were it lol. Alright, so these will go away by themselves or should I ease them along?

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

They just fade away as they use up there nutrients!

11. needmorecowbell

Okay, might be a stupid question but I have 0 trates, use rodi, and don't feed too much.. What are the nutrients they are getting. Or maybe is the reason I'm getting 0 trates Because of the hair algae? Hmm..

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Just ease them along by keeping up on removing when you can, not feeding too heavy.
    When you start a tank, there's lots of crap in the rocks and sand that feeds stuff like this, plus the water parameters fluctuate a lot in the first year, and instability also allows a foothold. Food adds to that, along with livestock poop.

Keep up regular maintenance, water changes as your doing, getting out what you can, and you'll be fine. We actually never did have a hair algae outbreak somehow (actually I never have with 4 tanks, maybe because I don't add any fish for 3 months, dunno).

Algae doesn't only feed on nitrates, have you tested for phosphates? That might show low too because the algae will use it up, as well, but if you show any, it's probably higher. Also, have you had nitrates tested with another kit or by someone else?