little dude in favites coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by derek17, Dec 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. derek17

derek17 Plankton

i recently purchased a large favites brain coral and located in the center of the coral is a small opening, a little smaller than a penny, about a 1/2 inch in diameter. this opening is a perfect circle, appearing as if someone (or something) drilled a hole in the coral. however, the fivites walls grew around the opening, appearing as if the opening was a natural occurence. withing this hole is dwelling some type of creature, i have spotted it with its head sticking out of its hole, however any sudden movement and it dissappears within its coral shelter. it looks like some type of small goby. what is this mystery creature??? any info is appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Im not sure, some pictures would help, but there is a possibility that the hole is a barnacle and whats inside is a barnacle blenny.
    Awesome purchase!!!! If it is that, they should somewhat come out when you feed your tank.

4. derek17

derek17 Plankton

i'll work on getting some pics today

5. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

awesome, well be waiting!!!

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Ya, chances are that you have a hitchhiker barnacle blenny.

Does it look like this:
    Divebums: Mexican Barnacle Blenny (Acanthemblemaria macrospilus)

I'm not sure, but I think favites is not native to the mexican reefs, so the barnacle might have come from inside the fish store. The hole might have been a large hard tube feather duster hole.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Possibly a barnacle, boring worm or featherduster?

8. Click Here!

9. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Sounds like a porites coral crab....MIGHT is stress might be a mantis that has taken over a crab hole. Most likley a boring crab...bring as in hole creating...;)