Lit up my 60gal cube

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by 3lilbrats, Nov 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Hello,

I recently set up my 60gal cube (24x24x24) tank. So far I only have live sand (2-3in), 4 hermits, 3 snail(dont know the name) and 1 nassarius snail. I'm looking for a good light to start with so I can show off my progress to visitors over the holidays. I'll be building a canopy for the tank and looking for some imput from you guys here. I've been reading a lot about MH,T5,PC, etc but im confused. This is my very first tank and I would like to get the best bang for the buck (that includes electric bill) I've been leading into building my own set of LED fixture. What you guys think I should do? get a 2x24 T5 to get me going while I build my canopy and my LED's? If so, Would any 2x24 T5 be good? I know if I do go with the T5 to start I need one 10,000K and one atinic. But what would be better for the LED's? 2 RB to 1 CW ratio? or a 1:1 ratio? All imputs will be take into considaration. Thank's!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Wow

All the views and no response! I guess I asked the wrong question on the wrong place. Like I said before I'm new at this. My tank is only 3weeks old. And I had the impression that becoming a member would help me some but I guess I was wrong. I chose the wrong hobby at the wrong time and the wrong place since there's no saltwater clubs around my area. Take care!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I would go with just some normal fluorescent lights until you decide on a more Permanent lighting solution. You say you want cost effective, then led would be the way to go. you mentioned going DIY led which would be great. i just wanna throw this out there, 2 fixtures from AI would cover your tank and they only use 75 watts a piece, and they just dropped in price.

Sorry we missed your post earlier, middle of the day on a work week isnt the time when the most users are on.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

You posted this on the correct board. Your questions is somewhat open-ended, so that may have led people to not post.

It seems you would like to get LEDs. In my opinion, that is is your best bet, long term. They consume less power than T5HO bulbs and metal halides, and do not need to be replaced for 7-10 years. They put out very little heat, but a great amount of light (most of the fixtures out there).

T5HO will need to be replaced yearly(about $25/bulb), and MH will be about every 8 months ($55-80/bulb). Both of these loose the intensity of the light over time, whereas LED has full output, but will "burn" out completely once they are used up (not sure fi that's the best choice of words).

Temporarily, I think T5 will be a good choice for you. Right now, I have 3 6500K cfl bulbs over my tank until i get my LEDs (should be about a month from now). The kelvin temperature is great for coral growth, but you will get better coloration of zooxanthellae (algae in corals which give them their pigment) from the Bluer wavelengths (that being 12000-14000K being the most popular for day ligths).

There are many LED options available for you; some are better than others.

Here is my 29g with he 6500k cfl bulbs.
    [​IMG]

6. Seano Hermano

For LEDs, I agree with skurious. You could go with 2 Aqua Illuminations Sol units ($399 ea.) and this would be the most economical for your 60 gallon cube tank.

...or possibly one EchoTech Marine Radion (83w, RGB controllable fixture. These cost about twice the price). But I'm not sure if one or two would be better, and I don't know your budget.

7. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Ok! So a coralife 2x24 T5 or a 24" fixture from aquatraders will be sufficient untill I can muster enough money for the LEDs?

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Are you planning to get coral under the T5s? I think that may suffice if you put them near the top of your aquascape.

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

yes, it will be fine for awhile.

11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Hmmm 2x24w on a 60g? Not much light. Most of your corals will have to be placed mid to upper range on your LR and then most of those will need to be low light. The main purpose of your lights is to produce photosynthesis. You won't be seeing much color from them either. I'm running 4x24t5ho on my 26g.

12. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Right, but its only a temporary fix until getting a better light over the tank (probably led). Not sure if the op even has coral yet, since its only 3 weeks old.