lionfish turned blind?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by helpme, May 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Such a hugeeeeeeeeeee bio-load for that size tank!!

Mines doing well BTW!! Birthday is in June so I'll have my camera and lots of pics for everyone :D

2. Click Here!

3. helpme

helpme Astrea Snail

so who suggest what to do? i dont think the shopkeeper will ever take back my sick fish, so how to aid it to health now?

4. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

Give it to someone with the means to support a fish like that. Maybe they can hold it till you get a bigger tank. I would definetly try talking to the fish store as they are the one who sent the fish to its doom.

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I had my lion in my 150G and even that seemed borderline too small. I had him in my 20G and that was because he was a 2" baby when I bought him. I had him in there only because that tank was fully cycled and the 150G wasn't ready yet.
    Your LFS should be ashamed for telling you he is fine in a nano tank, knowing it will grow into a 18" beast if it made it past the cycle and into the adult stage. Extra shame for not taking him back! I would find an ethical LFS to go to that cares about the animals they sell.

1 person likes this.
  6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Only thing you can do is get rid of it...give it to somebody if the shop doesnt take it back. Chances of it surviving blind is NEXT TO NONE! But you need to get it out of that tank...it is only going to suffer!

7. char40

char40 Plankton

I was told by the shop we go to that our 37 tall would be too small for a lionfish because of small floor space. I guess they need plenty of room to move around?!

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

And to spread out their fins

Sadly, some LFS owners don't care as long as they have the cash in hand. I went into a store I used to manage. They had a chambered nautilus inside a reef tank with MH's on it. I was TICKED!!!! I went and immediately turned off the lights.....I said, "They are from the deep, you're going to make that poor thing blind". Then I said, "Why on earth do you even have one again? I yelled at the owner the last time he brought in a nautilus????" They said it was special ordered to replace the last one that went blind and starved to death.

10. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Wow, super crappy. I WISH I could have a nautilus, they're so freakin cool. I know that I could not properly care for it though.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You have to have a huge tank with very thick acrylic (so the tank doesn't sweat), a massive chiller, minimal lighting (even ambient lighting in the room). Not only that, THEY BITE HARD!!!

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I bet they do!!! And I could definitely understand why!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.