Lionfish Fiasco

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Vbagate, Sep 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vbagate

Vbagate Flamingo Tongue

2. Click Here!

3. captrudy2010

captrudy2010 Plankton

they are alllll over Floridian waters all the way up to new york. they opened up a killing spree down here...and all the locals kill them in the fl, keys. they are tearing up everything they see and eat anything possible so be aware of that problem

4. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

When they do kill them they should eat them. I heard they are very good.

Brian

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I just dont see killing them, what are they doing wrong? Thriving. Just doesnt sound right to me.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, it's that they're messing up the natural habitat, since they have no natural predators in the area. That means lower populations of native fish, possibly to the point of extinction for many of those species being eaten by the lionfish. It's like letting a large group of cheetahs run around in the midwest plains, and letting them breed. It just doesn't make sense to let them go.

I agree that they shouldn't be letting them die in a bucket from either starvation, oxygen deprivation, or ammonia poisoning, though. That's a bit harsh.

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

They could start getting them from there instead of their natural habitat for aquarium trade, that way lion fish would be way cheaper than they are now.

Why not just stab them on their spine to end their life quicker? Instead of torturing then to death.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

That's actually a really good idea, wesho. That's much less stress from shipping (since they're closer), lower DoA, US regulations (no cyanide or blast fishing type methods)...

10. captrudy2010

captrudy2010 Plankton

well fellas the FWC (Florida wildlife commission) doesnt see it that way...i agree they are by far beautiful, and a hell of a lot destructive. they are hunted here in the keys because they are not a native species, instead they are an invasive species. 2 weeks ago a group here in the keys organized and opened up a contest on who can eliminate the most lion fish, giving away cash prizes (10k) for the most killed, largest, and smallest lion fish killed. 27 teams of divers went off that day and came back with five-hundred and something dead lion fish all bagged up and frozen for research...messed up but how do you like them apples...