Lion Fish in an uncycled tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by asilefx, Jun 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It is truly amazing, how some people go about certain things in life. This person really is clueless as to the ramifications regarding the keeping of a Lion Fish etc. without knowledge of husbandry and the whole aspect of setting up and maintaining a successful tank...
    And the local pet shop is pathetic as a good pet shop wouldn't allow someone to purchase livestock without proper acclimation and husbandry techniques. I have seen employees at a local pet shop here in Connecticut deny someone the sale of livestock due to lack of knowledge and poor reasoning behind the purchase of the livestock... Hats off to the pet shop employee for not initiating the sale to the person. We need more people like that to foster good screening to help ensure the success and survival of our livestock!

2. Click Here!

3. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

I think something NEEDS to be done. A news thing would be great, talk about bleaching corals and all the preservation we need to be doing.

I didn't mention this but he bought 3 anemones, 1 died. The other 2 I'm not sure about. The pet store that was keeping them wasn't taking care of them either. They are using PC Lighting for them, and no water flow.

That ones Jim's Aquarium and Pets, they take good care of everything else. But I have heard them tell people that they can keep more than one angel in the same tank.

I won't even get into talking about petco, you should have seen the poor blennies, I tried to save one of them.

The main pet store I'm worried about is called A Pet Shop.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Man...I know how you feel...when i went back to NJ most of the LFS were pumping bs into my uncles head. One thing that got me was that...they told him that to get rid of algae he should get more corals so that they take up the light... Luckily he is not in a rush to fill the tank...But some of the stores back there was so unbelievable. One time i went into a store and was asking a few questions...of course i knew the answers...but well lol anyway about coral for his 35gal hex....and the guy there started to lecture me about how 35gal is too small for a reef tank....granted he does have a small point...he started talking to me like i didnt know anything lol...well luckily it was a calm conversation. I looked around and all of his tanks were way to hot...85 and didnt look that great...i think that people shouldnt lecture if they arent doing thing right.

I agree with u asilefx...if i start talking about petco....lol well im not going to get into that. Luckily all of my LSF guys seem to know somthing about fish.

5. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Lets start a 3reef midwest club and hold our first meeting right inside the shop!

haha, j/k :)

6. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Update:

My friends tank crashed and burned. I won't explain any further details, but I didn't have time to save anything.

At least he learned his lesson, and hopefully he won't do the same thing on a larger scale.

7. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

I hate to have my first post start off like this, and slightly off track, but hear me out

I just got a tank (noob), and want to put a lion fish in it, for a couple of reasons. I live in The Bahamas, and in the past 4 years we went from seeing 3 lion fish in a couple months or so, to today, seeing hundreds (They are not native) They are taking over and driving lots of great reef fish away :( We pretty much view them as very, very bad, and kill them anytime we see them. The government even has a bounty on them. Just thought people would be interested in that..

I can get one probably in ten minutes of skin diving. It will be my first fish, because if it dies, I see no harm... but in a strange way I would feel bad. I don’t want to kill a fish in my house, in my tank, but I have no troubles killing it in the wild. When I get other fish, I will get rid of it, and not be putting it back in the ocean… if you know what I mean :| For the betterment of all fish, its hard, but better.

Regardless it is too bad that someone would buy a fish and not care if it died.

I hope people don’t take my post the wrong way, just really wanted to point that out about lion fish.

Ok back to reading about tanks…

Ser

8. Click Here!

9. BayBud

BayBud Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

unfortunately i see so many people have this disregard to livestock, your in a difficult position when that person is a friend
    I've had my tank running since around june 07 and i've added maybe two or three things.

I wish people would understand that just because you can buy something doesn't mean you should ( or at least not until you ready) afterall your not just buying an animal your also buying a life long commitment to that animal to keep it healthy and as happy as can be.

10. BayBud

BayBud Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Is there a thread for naming and shaming bad fish shops? If not i think its high time such a thing be started, slander be dammed.

It's the only way alot of these shops will start treating the animals with the care ( both in store and their destinations) they need and deserve.

11. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

It's true this happens all the time. And most LFS will obviously go for the sale, the odds are when the livestock dies the customer will more than likely go back and spend more money. Although ethically there is some issue on both sides (LFS and Customer), but I would say that at least half if not more than half of customers are not knowledgable, this represents a large consumer base to pet stores. If they began to deny sales some of them would suffer greatly.

I remember when I was a kid and my dad bought a 38 gallon tall for FW. he knew a little but now much, the LFS sold him everything, and everything kept dying, but we kept going back.. lol. What can you do? Hopefully the dude learned his lesson, but if he wants to spend money that's his right and let him throw it away, it will keep prices down for the rest of us.

12. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

asilefx I think youve whiped up a possy or linch mob
    :whip::furious::rifle::end:

:pirate2::indian_ch:bandana::shout::fireman:

:finger1::gossip::stars::uzi::drive:

:builder2::army::evil3:

:furious3::argue::cowboy::skull:

:furious2::policeman:hammer:
    (Fear :devil: to the shop keep)