Lion Fish in an uncycled tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by asilefx, Jun 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

I really didn't want to post about this, it's very upsetting, I'm sure you will find it that way too.

I got a call from a friend of mine yesterday, he just bought a lion fish. And he just bought a 10 gallon tank to put it in. Small lion fish.

He doesn't care if the fish lives or dies, he wanted it so he bought it. I told him about the cycle, he doesn't seemed concerned. He said the fish was on sale and couldn't pass it up.

So I told him not to do anything and I'd be right over. I did a very quick water change on my tank and took 2.5 gallons of my water over to his house.

Luckily the LFS put O2 in the bag. We put the bag in a dark room and filled his tank with the live sand he bought and my water, I also put a bunch of bioballs from my tank and the filter floss I was using that day. I also added biozymes.

The LFS told him not to do a water change for a month, of course this will kill the fish. I'm hoping my water and bacteria will be enough to save the fish. There is no way for me to get him to return it. I might be able to get it in my QT tank, but most likely, he'll keep it till it dies.

Does anyone think this fish will survive. Should I try giving him 5 gallons of my water and do a 50% water change. I really don't want to see the thing die, but I can't steal it from him.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Adnuces

Adnuces Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It is a bloody shame that people don't have to go through a process like you do when you adopt a pet from the spca. They do home visits and interviews before they let you adopt. That is what they need in this hobby. I guess they just figure that fish/corals and other marine life is just expendable and doesn't matter.....makes me sick. I think you need to go and kidnap it and get it back to the store.

1 person likes this.
  4. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

What's really upsetting is that the LFS knows that it's going to die.

He did the same thing with his FW tank, he killed two sting rays, an eel, and a few other things.

I've thought about taking it, but with the kind of person he is he wouldn't understand. I don't think I'd be able to get at it either.

5. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

You sure got some friend there asilefx......I feel bad for you, really.

Seems like this person has sadistic tendencies ...... needs professional help IMO.
    The LFS leaves alot to be desired as well.

I would give him an ultimatum; either to return (or give you) the fish...or....kiss your friendship goodbye.

I think you probably feel the same way.

Good luck buddy.

6. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

I'll do my best to convince him. This isn't something to part ways over, he's an interesting person yes.
    But it would be no different than when my dad drowned 6 bunnies because they would eat his flowers, I don't hate him for it, he's my dad. But all I can do is my best to stop these things. Sorry to bring that up, it's a rather sad and sick situation.

The only way I'll get it from him is if it's looking pretty bad, then maybe I can put it in my QT until he's cycled. Until then I'll keep giving him water from my tank and try to get his going.

Is it possible, my QT is just water from my tank? I fill it when I need it, then I put the QT filter in my sump for a day.

I'm think of buying a filter and letting it run in my tank for him. It's a strange situation and it's not like releasing animals from a school science room, which I did do once. It's more like trying to get a family member to stop hunting because you think it's wrong. I will do my best.

7. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

No, it's not something to part ways over. But you should let him know that as far as you're concerned what he's doing is not cool.

Hats-off to you :) !!

8. Click Here!

9. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Maybe I need some sort of electro-shock device.

I'm going to talk to him tonight when he gets home.

10. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

Oh man, that sounds horrible. At least he's got you as a friend that is RESPONSIBLE enough to let him know what is the PROPER way to have fish. Those LFS just don't tell you anything and they just want to sell everything to you. I was in one of the big chain stores (to remain nameless) and they sold a 2 foot eel to some guy who was buying a 10 gallon tank that same day to put the eel in. It's sad, but I guess it happens a lot more times then you think.

11. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

I did find it surprising that the LFS called him to see how the fish was doing. It's doing alright, right now anyway. I keep my water perfect and he's using it for water changes. The SG is higher on my tank, but a little RO/DI fixes that.

At least he's buying RO/DI water from the LFS.

I'm thinking about scooping some of my sand out too.

I just wish I had my FOWLR setup, then it would have a place to stay for a while. I'm getting a custom 210 made right now, it will become my reef and the 75 I'm turning into a FOWLR. I'm also going to make a 55 gallon sump and a 55 gallon refugium.

12. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Tell your friend what a fish goes threw during a cycle. Tell him its like putting salt on a cut and x's it by 10. Good luck dealing with him.