Lingering bacteria bloom makes me wanna start over! (Unresolved)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by insanespain, Nov 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

It probably would have been easier to get a skimmer, but my sump and stand will not allow room for most skimmers. The problem is that I originally went into this build thinking I was doing a fowlr and that was it. Then after getting the stand and sump built it turned into wanting a reef tank, which obviously changed the equipment needs, but the sump and stand were not built with a skimmer in mind. I did a lot of stuff that I would've done differently if I had known more at the time. I really don't directly contribute this bacteria bloom to not running a skimmer though, since all the other instances I have read about have occured in tanks running a skimmer. I really believe that algae scrubbers are the future and have great potential, and I don't mind struggling with my tank a little bit to experiment with them. Somebody has to figure them out and prove that they can work. I don't have a fully stocked sps tank or anything, so its not going to bother me to have high nitrates for awhile. The tank looked amazing at 40+ ppm nitrates for a couple months. Water was clear and fish and soft corals were happy. This bacteria bloom has been the first problem/unfortunate happening with the tank.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

4. insanespain

Hopefully when I get home from work my diatom powder and magnum filter have arrived and I can try that tonite.

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

And I read another thread about the stuff you got today. Hang in there.

6. insanespain

Yeah, apparently your not allowed to post threads about bad experiences with a company on this forum. Only good experiences?

Anyways, now I have to call marineland and wait for a replacement part to come so I can give the diatom filter a shot and see if it makes a difference or not. The fish and corals are still healthy as can be, but the tank sure isn't fun to look at right now.

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Ahhh thanks for the hard link. It seems like every time I voice a negative opinion towards a company the thread gets closed.....

Meanwhile the other day I saw a negative thread about Marine Depot's customer service and it was wide open and several pages long?

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Yup I saw that too..

So, did you sort everything out with Marineland?

11. insanespain

I got ahold of them and I have to mail them the broken part and they will mail a new one. I stole an impeller out of one of my gfs magnums and got the filter running. Yesterday was day 1, and it cleared it up some. Recharged it last night and woke up this morning and looked a tad clearer. Will check when I get home and recharge again. Its a bit tricky charging the filter with the de powder but I'm getting the hang of it. Its probably going to take several runs

12. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Good news. Keep at it bro. I know it's frustrating, but try to take pics, so you can laugh at them later!