Limestone or lava rock in a SW tank?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Powerman, Feb 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Here is a link to bulk reef supply's eco rox. This particular link is for fiji shelf rock. Sounds perfect for what you are trying to do. My tank is pretty much made up entirely of this very rock from these guys. It is high quality, nice, flat rock that makes perfect shelves. The only problem is that it can be fairly hard to come by:

15# Tonga Shelf Eco RoX Bulk Reef Supply

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I was just there last night looking, but they are sold out. I'm in no hurry though so it still might be a possibility. For this type of stuff though, I sort of like putting my hands on it since I'm not just ordering rock, but want some specific stuff.

That is good looking stuff though and will do it if it comes to that.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks. I assumed it would get covered up. Don't like the white, but don't see it staying that way. You have a bit in your tank. Any PH chemistry problems to speak of

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I don't know if it helps, but this is kind of a top-down look at my rock structure. Nearly all of it is the eco rox shelf rock, so it would at least give you kind of an idea on how flat and shelf like it is, besides on the suppliers website:

[​IMG]

I love the stuff personally. Worked really well for setting up shelves.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I would tend to think it would not matter. Although, it is rough, but does not look very porous. The surface area for them to colonize on live rock is huge compared to a flat solid rock.

LR too supports deep enough holes to house oxygen hating nitrate eaters. Doubt that would be the same with Holy rock. I could be wrong.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Nice. Here is mine.

[​IMG]

Plenty of rock. It doesn't look it, but it is hard to get flow. There is either the front plane, or the top when positioning my PHs.

I was going to do some sort of structure on the left side sticking out, and then do a shelfy type sort of pile on the right. The right side isn't viewed much and I will probably try doing it against the side wall in a "L" sort of cove look.

When I see shelf work in tanks I really like it. Even though I have plenty of rock, it is hard to position new coral. So I want to change before going forward.

Pictures don't show it, but my rock isn't just a pile. It is very open inside and there is no place my fish can't go, but they don't have much open space.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

No my pH is pretty stable. 8.1-8.5 since the beginning.

I do use BRS 2-part kit which is suppose to slightly raise pH... but I've only been using that for a couple weeks. pH has been 8.2-8.4 since I started using this.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

It's about time for me to buy more chemical. I use Seachem. I have thought about switching to BRS 2 part before. How do you like it? Price good for what you get?

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Almost any rock will become live rock. All live rock means is that there are bacteria colonies growing on and in them. With the denser rock, you probably won't get as good colonization, particularly with the aneorbic bacteria, but the holy rock will still work just fine. The lava rock though is made of silicates and has lots of iron and other trace elements and heavy metals. I would definitely not use that.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Yep, the lava rocks are going back to the store.