Lights for a 37g reef

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by pshootr, Feb 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

I am thinking about seting up a 37 gallon reef tank for eventually all types of coral. I plan on useing a 20 gallon tank for a sump. The tank for the reef is 21in. tall. I live in a warm climate and somtimes the house is near 80F I assume because of this I could never use MH with out a chiller. Am I rite? What kind of lighting setup would be optimal for this senerio? I do not want to have to use a chiller. Though if possible would like to be able to use a MH without a chiller. Low wattage MH? Or just forget about MH?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Well after thinking about this for awhile, I think MH is out of the question because of heat. And have determind that T5 is prob. my best option. Let me know what you think.

4. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

i use a 6500k sera daytime and 10000k actinic tubes for my 35gal it works well:) $40.00au per tube

5. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Thanks for the reply Matt. I was wondering what wattage is the 6500k? That is a MH rite?

6. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

18watts dude , its not metal halide they are just flourescent.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  7. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Ah ha, ok thanks for the info.

8. Click Here!

9. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

It also depends on what kind of corals you are wanting to keep. If you want a good bang for the buck you could overdrive NO bulbs(ie poor mans vho)

10. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

11. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

I would in the long run like to keep SPS as well as LPS and softies. The tank I have in mind is a 37 Gallon 24 1/2 L, 18 1/2 D, 21 3/8 T

Thanks for the link, I have looked at them and they do seem very nice.

12. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

they make alot of pc(power compact) lights that are 24 inches tooo, but they are not able to keep sps happy too long. Most will turn brown in a few months. But I think the pc lights are the same if not more than the t-5's though.