Lights and the acclimation process

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by spinyboxspike, Aug 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. spinyboxspike

spinyboxspike Plankton

Was just wondering how long you guys keep your lights off when you get new fish in your tank. Also does it need to be pretty dark, like if the room gets a lot of sunllight should I put a blanket around it to block the light? I know it causes more algae in the tank but is that really a bad thing for the fish? Like if my hippo tang survives he is supposed to love it.

Is it not good for my other fish to have any light all day or longer while the new additions acclimate?

Thanks in advance,

JT

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I simply put my fish in a small bucket and the stores water I add about that much of my tank water let them lay in it for a bit 10 Min's or so then I slowly slide my hand up under the fish and then lay it into the tank I never cut lights off or use a net My fish never get excited and run and hide they act pretty much like they had bee in there a good while. I think this way they are not scared and stressed and then not being all worked up and panicky they don't give off that scared Vibe to the rest of the fish and that limits the chasing or attacking the new guy. And the new guy does not feel threatened and to run and hide . Now some fish need more experience and care to handle .. Just the keep the fish police off of me :)

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

If I get a fish or invert acclimated at say noon, I will leave the lights off for the remainder of the day. It stresses the animal less and the others don't have a chance to pick on it until it's stronger in the morning. They will usually find a place to hide the first few days anyway, unless they are hams and aren't scared!

5. spinyboxspike

spinyboxspike Plankton

K thanks, I have had the lights off since 1130 am when they went in today. I think I might turn them on here in about an hour and try to feed them and the other fish. Unless anyone says that I shouldnt in the next hour! Its a hippo tang and a spiny box puffer who are now the big dogs of the tank. I dont think the two starfish,two green spotted small puffers, and the pink spotted goby scare the new guys much!

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

ive never turned off my lights while acclimating, if anything i feel the animal has better sight in the tank to get used to it, and you can also observe what your other fish might do to the new addition.... and i just float the "new guy" on top for 45 minutes, let it adjust to the temp, then start putting 1/2 a cup of your water in every 5 minutes, for another 45 minutes, this has worked every time so far, havnt lost one fish during acclimation.

to add what i said at the top, if i see one of my fish really going at the new speciman, i usually wont risk it (this has only happend twice and i should have read up on the compatability first)

7. spinyboxspike

spinyboxspike Plankton

Thats exactly how I acclimated them. Thanks Nano, I will keep you informed on their progress.

8. Click Here!

9. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

no problem, you will here that 1 and a half hours is just too short, but most of the time i feel the fish just want to get the hell out of the bag ;D

10. spinyboxspike

spinyboxspike Plankton

Well everything is good so far. The spiny box is not breathing hard and swimming around with the other two small puffers fluently. He ate a decent amount of kwill from my hand the first time I tried.

The blue hippo is doing well I think? He cant sit still long enough for me to tell! He has found all kinds of new places to go inside the rocks and he is picking on my two small puffers. I have noticed him rubbing against other fish (small puffers) and on the rocks some. I hope this isnt a sign of ick on this guy already! I heard they are prone to it but so far its well worth it even if he does, this fish has a great personality. I hope I can fix any ick problems that may arise from him if they do.