Lighting upgrade considerations.

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by marvollo, Aug 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marvollo

marvollo Astrea Snail

I have a 72g bowfront with a CA 260w CF light.

I would like to be able to have a good mixture of lps and sps corals with my many softies. I am budget concerned right now so trying to find the smartest but affordable upgrade.

My considerations are:
    1. keeping my pc and getting maybe another hood 48" T5 HO 216W Aquarium Reef Light Power low profile SM - eBay (item 160268403929 end time Aug-10-08 11:48:21 PDT) only a 105$ upgrade. puts me at 476w
    2. getting rid of the pc and getting maybe 2 of these 250 Watt Metal Halide Aquarium Light w/ 14k or 20k bulb - eBay (item 170243980541 end time Aug-04-08 21:06:31 PDT). and i guess adding 2 t5 actinic bulbs. about a 250$ upgrade 608w total
    3. keeping the pc since i already have them and getting just the 2 mh lights on ebay. 200$ 765w total
    4. or a whole new combo unit: MHS 48" Metal Halide Aquarium Reef Lighting 760W - eBay (item 380051585130 end time Aug-07-08 23:21:58 PDT) 369$ 760w

Any advice would be appreciated. the tank is in my living room so appearence is also important which is why i wonder if getting the 2 mh lights with big reflectors would be ugly. i am open to other suggestions but i cant spend more then 400$.

thanks for any help you can give.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

If I were in your shoes I'd go with this. It's selling for less than half what Coralife charges, and you at least know what you're getting. This is the same brand name unit I have on my 90, and it's a great fixture. If you wanted to upgrade later to 2-250W lights instead of the 2-150W lights included, you'd have to spend some money to get a capable ballast, but could utilize the same fixture.

Of the links you list in your post, your first option has no picture--always a bad idea. You have to ask yourself why a 4 bulb T5 fixture is less than $100. You'll probably figure out the right answer.

The second link looks like an industrial ballast. It's about 40 lbs and at about 18" by 20" by 6" you'll have the devil of a time hiding it in your living room. Also the picture is 1" by 1". That's probably so you can't make out the ballast in the pic. Ever shopped in a Costco or Publix supermarket? That's the lights that go on their ceilings. It's made to be many feet off the ground.

The last ebay post to which you link is a model based on the Coralife. It's the same looking shell. I wonder why it's less than half the price? Electronic ballasts cost money. I'd be willing to bet that unit has a magnetic cheapo ballast in it, but I could be wrong.

I hate to sound cynical, but in this hobby you GET WHAY YOU PAY FOR. Don't skimp on anything, ESPECIALLY your lighting. Ebay is a paradise for the dishonest. Who's going to buy an item that costs $40 to ship only to receive it, and then pay another $40 to return it in the hopes that they get their money back? Nobody--and the vendors rely on this.

Bite the bullet and spend the money--do it right the first time and you'll be happy you did. :)

Good luck!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  5. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I agree with reefsparky, im know first hand what hes talking about. I JUST upgraded my lites yesterday. 3 months ago when the tank was almost cycled i went out and dropped 700 dollars on a tek t5 fixture (8 bulbs x 54 watts) a very nice fixture indeed but i always had my heart set on metal halide. I went out yesterday and bought a sunlight supply 250watt x 2, 54 watt t5 x 2 combo fixture for 1200 bux and man i wish i would have gone with what i wanted in the first place. Im gonna be selling the tek t5 fixture with mounting legs and 9 t5 bulbs, all of it is like new....its maybe 3 months old if that. I have 5 atinic and 4 aquablue plus bulbs. Looking to sell for 400 bux.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

IMO MH are awful. They run hot, soft corals get light saturation, they use up more energy
    and generally cost more to run, and i dont like the colour they give off and i could go on. Thats why i have just got rid if my MH in favour for a 4 bulb T5 fixture.

Just my opinoin tho

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i completely agree expect for the color comment, i like their coloration better then any other lights. they are very inconvenient but the hard corals love them. check out reefcentral.com a large portion of the tanks that are selected for tank of the month use halides. I would tell you if not halide then go with t5's.

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I can answer all your questions about why so cheap in one word.... CHINA, most if not all these lights are made in china.

I disagree, I have one like the first one only its a 36" light and have for almost a year, bought it from Aquatraders with no complaints other than the bulbs which are marginal at best but I am replacing them soon. I just bought a 48" Light from them and its great. For those of use who don't have the money to lay out on what is IMO an overpriced hunk of aluminum these work just fine. I not recommending their Metal Halide light though, just the t5's

Al tough I would recommend you talk to gangster, those NEW WAVE Fixtures appear to be a pretty good value and if he recommends them I don't think you can go wrong. The Aquatrader light, however do have a protective lens that the NEW WAVE ones lack.

Good luck!

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

As was previously stated, you get what you pay for. Period. I am in the same boat you are in. I have a 75g setup that is screaming for good lighting. After all my research, I have decided on the 48" Tek T5 8x54W. It is going to be very nice. You can get one through Tangster for a good price.

Two reasons i am opting for this brand.....quality and reflectivity. It rates high on both.

So, that is my two cents.

12. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I'll have to disagree with this. Things being made in china is not a good thing. Everything on them is cheap, not just the labor. If you are going to get a T5 hood get one for the right reasons. The main thing with T5s is the individual reflectors, which the aquatraders fixture doesn't have. The reflectors triple the output of each bulb. There is absolutely no point in buying a T5 fixture if it doesn't have the individual reflectors for each bulb. Then there are the craptastic bulbs that are gauranteed to come with it and the doubly craptastic ballast.

Also if you decide to go MH beware of aquatraders reputation for their MH ballasts. Sure apparently it's been fixed, but I would never trust a company that put their profits before the safety of people's lives and homes (the ballast were catching on fire), even if they have now fixed that problem.

Trust me, lighting is not something you want to cheap out on here. If you get a T5 or MH fixture, save up and get a real one. You do get what you paid for.

And as many others have mentioned just PM Tangster, he'll hook you up.