lighting upgrade and the dangers to softies

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by getinpora, Dec 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

besides alot of new people starting this hobby and our LFS throwing them into it blindly just to make a sale. again im seeing a problem. this problem pop's up every year around this time with Christmas and again around tax time. it is people upgrading to bigger and, brighter lighting systems and, bigger tanks. it is a wonderful thing to do a upgrade. there is a danger to our creatures of the sea, ecspecially to our softies. i started this thread to see the different ways people have done this. to get new ideas and , to help any one who's getting ready to do a upgrade. if your interested tells us how you did your's or, if you got a good idea on how to do it. i have always used the window screen in layers removing one at a time untill it has addapted. i have heard of the one lamp at a time method. i thank you for your input and maybe we might learn something form this.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You can also start your lighting period at......lets say.....at 4hrs a day for a week. 1-2 more hrs the next week and so on, until you get where you want to be. Luna

1 person likes this.
  4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I think you're talking about how to acclimate softies to new lights. Sometimes people will move them to the bottom of the tank and move them back up to where they want them slowly.

1 person likes this.
  5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I have a adjustable mh clip on... I went from 72 watts of pc's over my 5.5 gal to 150w of MH.... I started the light very high up off of the tank and moved it closer about every 4-5 days... Also shorted my cycle down from 12 hours to about 6.... Once I got to the height I wanted... Then I started increasing the cycle, presently up to 8hours so far.. This has been about a month long process....

1 person likes this.