lighting timer?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by billybaldwin3, Mar 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

so, i work random shifts, and am not always home to turn on/off my lights on schedule.

i need one that has multiple settings.

one that can turn on my LEDs at "X" time
    then turn on my actinics at "X" time
    then my 10,000K at "X" time

and then off in reverse order.

any ideas?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Steven896s

Steven896s Bristle Worm

Get a reef keeper lite they control your lights heaters pumps and pretty much anything else

1 person likes this.
  4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I used 2 walmart specials in the past to get this effect. Other than that i am not sure.

5. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

I have 2 power strips that have 4 timed outlets and 4 regular outlets each. I use one timed outlet on each one for my t5s and the regular outlets for my pumps, heaters and a timer for my lunars.

6. billybaldwin3

reef keeper lite costs way too much for me to afford, i just looked em up, like 200. that's ridiculous.

and i cant use different power strips, i need them to turn on/off by themselves. like i said earlier, i work random shifts, and i can't always be home to turn them on/off manually.

the only thing i can figure that's not gonna cost me an arm n a leg is to go to petsmart and get 3 separate ones that control a single outlet.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If you're on a budget you can use these type of timers. I think they have them at home depot:
    Titan Controls 734110 - Apollo 6 - 24 Hour Timer
    I've used these types and they will do the job but lose time a lot and need to be reset here and there.

What are you using for heater control?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Yesterday I needed a replacement timer for one of mine that has crapped out.

I got a 3 prong, outdoor rated timer- that actualy has a short cord and plug so it doesn't tke up 2-3 spaces on my power strip! It has 2 places for your items, and you could use a 2 or 3 way adapter and make it more items to be controlled.

It works awesome!

And the best part?

$4.99 in my hand- bought it at Menards. (like a Lowes, or HD, only better overall)

I have all my LED;'s theu these type of timers- work great.

So, you were turning your lights on and off?

Even I don't have a controller, but these timers works well.

10. billybaldwin3

i'm not using anything for heater control, but i do check the temp at least twice daily to make sure they're working correctly.

those timers can be set for any length of time right? because i really only want my 10,000K on for 5-6hr, actinic for maybe 9, but the LED moonlights more like 12-14.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Careful with those heaters. I've baked two tanks with heaters that malfunctioned ( no controller) They had the built in thermostat.
    You can find used reefkeepers for $120 ish.

12. billybaldwin3

i looked online/youtube, and i couldn't find anything that would tell me that they would DEFINITELY be able to be be controlled the way i need them to.

i need to be able to set different lights to be on for different amounts of HRS.

I.E.-
    LED moonights on from 7am-10pm
    Actinics on from 10am-6pm
    10,000k on from 12pm-5pm

(just an estimate, are those good hours to have them on?)

would i be able to program the reef keeper lite that way?