Lighting suggestions for me?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by BonnieC, Apr 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BonnieC

BonnieC Astrea Snail

I am researching and trying to determine what type of lights to get. I plan to keep some clams as these are my favorite! Ill also have some corals and a few fish. But Im brand new to SW so I will definately take my time before getting any. But I'd like to have the proper light set up for when I am ready.

My tank dimensions will be 24 x 24 x 14 rimless, so it's a shallow tank. I would REALLY like to get LED lights if possible??

Can you use LED lights with clams? I keep reading different info out there. I'd also like to have moonlights and everything on timers.

Also, to make it difficult, I have NO idea how to mount my lights. I have vaulted ceilings and the tank won't be against a wall. It does have a bit of a backing on it. This is what I plan to get: Neo Nano

Can you all link me some suggestions? I plan to get them by summer so not a rush.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I don't know about LED's. I would suggest getting a 6 or 8 bulb T5 unit. It will work so you can place any critter wherever you wish in the tank.

I'd make a hangar for the light by using 2x4's or something similar attached to the back of the stand.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

A clip on MH (metal halide) 150w+ lamp will work with that.

1 person likes this.
  5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

My thought exactly,you definitely would want a small,clean looking fixture with that tank so your view from above isn't obstructed.Someone on here has a build thread for his neo nano,can't remember who it is,maybe some one will help out,or you could check the show off your fish tanks forum.

1 person likes this.
  6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I have a clamp on halide (well..its not clamp on anymore..its mounted inside my canopy..) but they work really well for tanks under 30 inches or so wide. That's what I would recommend..and with that..you have no limitations as to what you can keep.

1 person likes this.
  7. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

if i were you i would look into the Viper HQI by JBJ

heres the link, good luck

K-2 Viper Lamps

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. BonnieC

BonnieC Astrea Snail

Yeah I saw the one where he used the clip on and it looked pretty nice. I guess I was liking the idea of the LEDs. Think LEDs should be out then?

ETA: Thanks for the links!

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

LEDs aren't out, but for your tank dimensions, a linear fixture like T5s or LEDs will be far from ideal. IMO, give your tank, I would use either a MH pendant or the clip on MH light. With the rimless tank and it not being near a wall, you've really limited your lighting options. It's not that it can't be done, but you will have to be much more creative and perhaps compromise.

1 person likes this.
  11. BonnieC

BonnieC Astrea Snail

Okay thanks so much. I think my concern for the MHs is that they are so danged hot and power usage. It seemed like LEDs are so much cooler and last so long.

But yeah, the whole point of this tank is to be able to look down upon it so if a clip on will be better...

With a MH clip, can you still have both the daylight as well as actinic coloring? What about lunar lights?

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

150w wont use much power.. they have clip ons with built in cooling fans.. just get a 14k+ bulb so you'll get the bluish glow look.

1 person likes this.