Lighting schedule

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by t-hac, Oct 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. t-hac

t-hac Flamingo Tongue

hey everyone, still new to this and im wondering about a lighting scehdule for my 55 gal, i have a nova extreme pro (6 bulb) T5, 3 10k, and 3 actinic, and im wondering when to have them on and when not.

like should i have the actinics on in the morning befoer the 10ks come on to creat a dawn effect and same to go with night??

and how long should my lights be on every day. no coarls yet i have some zoas that came on my live rock tho...

please help a newbie out ;)

thanks guys

2. Click Here!

3. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I ran the same system you are running now and then switched to the 8 bulb.

I run my actinics from 8:30-10, then day light and actinic 10-5:30, actinic 5:30-8. I run moonlights all night...

4. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

i run actinics for an hour or two then daylight for about 8hours then actinic for 2 hours. I have the same 6 bulb fixture. You don't have to leave them on this long if all you have is zoas, but it is probably better for them.

5. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

daylights come on at 4pm then actinics at 5, 10pm daylights go out and at 11 actinics off.
    Light are on when I'm home and off during the hot day this also runs the light for an equal amount of time so that the actinic don't have to be changed out as soon

6. t-hac

t-hac Flamingo Tongue

cool thanks alot for the help guys, thats pretty much what the general idea i had but i just wanted to make sure!

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

My actinics run from 11am-11pm The MH run from 12pm-10pm The lunar lights run from 11pm-11am Luna

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i run all my lights 11hours a day 4 54watt t5's over a 55 gallon.i've never tried it different

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

VHO actinics for 16hr a day and MH's for 7 hrs a day.

11. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

Sooo VHO's and MH's should always be used together? anyone run the VHO's for 4-5 hour chunks for morning and evening.. and then let the MH's overlay those time periods as well as a few hours during the day without the VHO's on? just an idea.. I know the VHO's are important.. just trying to figure out a schedule :]

12. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

Actinics from 10AM to 10PM MH's from 2PM till 9PM