Lighting questions?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by smileyface1995, Jan 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

its not top shelf, like t5 or halide. but i think its better then vho. right now with those only i would stick to soft corals or atleast keep the corals near the top of the tank.

you probably should only keep mushrooms or zoas(low light corals) near the bottom of the tank, power compacts don't project light through water very efficiently

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

They are not bad, they just have low output

For us to recommend proper lighting for your tanks, you need to tell us what you will be keeping in the tanks and/or post pictures of your tank.

For example i have a 120G mixed reef tank with many corals, live rock, live sand and 4 fish. So i have 2 x 250W Metal Halides and 4 x 54W T5 High Output lights.

4. Trigger Man

Trigger Man Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

with your lighting I would not recommend trying to keep an anenome.

5. smileyface1995

smileyface1995 Flamingo Tongue

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I have to disagree with the general consensus... 4 Years ago I had a 55 with a Coralife PC fixture very similar to the one you have. I had all sorts of LPS, softies and even few Monti digis that were in the top third. You CAN keep more coral than youve been told. Anemones, aside from saddle, carpets and a couple other high intensity light needed anemones; will be fine. I had two Haitian pink tips tha absolutely THRIVED in the tank.
    Water clarity and water quality have a HUGE impact on what you can keep as well. Also do not forget that PC bulbs need to be replaced very frequently like every 8-10 months!

Fast foward until just recently, I had a 75 with 2 PC fixtures on it(dont ask, I have like 5 laying around!!) so I had 6 bulbs total. I had 5 different acros growing in there and growing well!! I am not promoting PC but I will tell you that they get bashed without people really knowing what they can do!!

Happy lighting!!

8. Click Here!

9. smileyface1995

so only one of these fictures you think can house an anemone
    cause im moving most of my corals to my otther 75g because the lights fit better and its like a little less deep. and i like it better. butt uhmm
    which one is better overall between the light i posted and urs??

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well i tend to side on my post because theres 4 bulbs so twice the wattage, but odyseea bulbs are crap so you would probably want to replace them when you can. your selection is fine and its a fairly good brand.

if your planing on using your pc with the new lights get the 2 since its smaller.

11. smileyface1995

well money isnt a big concern of mine, but if u had the choice of a lighting any MH,T5,PC ,, what exact thing would you get thats reasonably priced and stuff?

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

t5 would be the best for anything 90 and below(assuming its not some odd shape, meaning irregularly tall).