Lighting question

Discussion in 'Clams' started by chrisnif, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

I have a 20 high that believe it or not I manage to keep stable (stable enough my LFS lets me "borrow" dying coral). Anyway I have two lighting options at the moment and want to know which is more likely to allow for me to put at least one clam in the tank.

Currently installed
    Single 70W HQI in a DIY fixture (the one seen all over the web with the brinks halogen fixture).

Second option
    24" Finnex quad 24w T5HO. This fixture has a garbage reflector (which is why I question). I got it dirt cheap in trade and have an Icecap 660 lying around which I can power the bulbs with as the ballasts it came with are toast.

Not withstanding the option to customize bulbs in the T5HO, which do you think is better.

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

If its a 24w with crap reflectors then no to putting a clam in there. If it has Individual reflectors now thats a different story, if you had good reflectors its possible to do a clam.

But if your wanting to do high light corals, i would go with the 70w MH that would be my choice, or you can get a nice T5HO light and you could do it.

Clams are high-medium light, and 24w isnt even 5w per gallon in a 20g...

4. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

Will its a 4x24 fixture being run off an icecap 660 which will push the bulbs at to at least 40 watts each. So it should have similar light output to a 6 bulb fixture with the same reflectors.

5. mcmarkrazz

mcmarkrazz Astrea Snail

cant u just get the t-5,s and replace the reflector with some good ones ? i love my t-5 retro i have set-up and everything grows crazy with them and not so hot or powwer consuming like other options

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You could do with either as long as you keep the clam up high.

Go to hellolights.com and get their reflectors and DIY a canopy from the Finnex.