Lighting question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by txmudnhunt, Oct 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

Okay guys I have a 30g tank measurements are 30x12 12 1/2x 18 1/2
    I was interested in getting started with soft corals the stock right now is about ten hermit crabs, two clown fish, scooter blenny and a dotty back, three shrimp. Current lighting is just a full spectrum single light that I was told will not sustain life for the corals, so my question is I know i want about 2-5 watts per gallon of the tank, but without breaking my bank what kind of light do i need, compact flourescent, T5?????? I am really confused but i have found alot of cheap lights at www.marineandreef.com
    I was thinking about ordering the light thats 104 shipped to my door to fit the tank then upgrading the bulbs bc i was told the wattage was not enough for the tank, this is the light I found
    Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture 2X31W 30 inch Coralife T5 HO

can someone help me shed some LIGHT on my issues?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That will work for softies and possibly LPS but may not work for SPS. Plus I believe only Coralife makes the replacement bulbs. I suggest getting a fixture with 24" T5HO bulbs. 2 bulbs should work for softies and LPS but you will want 4 bulbs if you wish to have SPS, anemones or clams in the future.

4. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Take a look at aquatraders.com. You said you don't want to break your bank.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

my advice is don't skimp on lighting, get the best light you can afford, if you can't afford a good quality light, try to save up more. Lightning is the foundation of a reef tank and you will regret getting something that "works for now".

I would suggest maybe an AquaticLife T5 fixture, try a 4-bulb if you can, once you start getting corals you will want more and more and more, you'll want the best light so you can keep a variety of many.

30" AquaticLIfe:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...xtures-AquaticLife-AK01035-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

With the AquaticLife you're getting good reflectors, mounting brackets included, acrylic shield included, led moonlights included. timer included for dawn/dusk cycle, cooling fans, many positive reviews. If you search around the net, marinedepot will match any price online also.

I would replace stock bulbs with ATI's or Geissman's though.

best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Fresh2Salt

Fresh2Salt Feather Duster

7. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

All im planning on doing is the starter reefs, nothing than the basics, no clams and stuff like anemone, my clowns arent interested in them. I just cant afford hundreds of dollars on the light and then to upgrade the bulbs... im out on workers comp and cant justify spending that much

8. Click Here!

9. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

10. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

It will work for a little while...maybe long enough for you to get started, get some corals, and get back to work or what not...long enough to be ready to get another light. Odyssea makes lights with the cheapest parts possible. The ballast is cheap, the case is cheap, and the bulbs are well...

Lighting is important, and if you don't NEED it right now, save up so you can get something worthwhile. That's my 2 cents.

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I hear ya, but to be brutally honest, SW keeping isn't a cheap hobby, I have sunk thousands into it in my first year. I would not recommend it to someone without some form of steady disposable income. I guess the Odyssea is ok, it's on the low end of quality, with stories of the MH versions catching on fire in the past. I myself would not buy that brand as I wouldn't want to worry about something like that. The few hundred you are saving on a cheaper fixture is not worth it IMO.

If you really dive into this hobby and start getting corals, you will want cooler ones soon, you'll want better lighting. Believe me, I was that guy saying "oh I just want a FOWLR only, I don't want clams, I don't need corals.". Then I started dabbling, and now I have a ton of corals, clams, etc, if you get the bug you will want and want.

Look for a used fixture of a better brand, check craigs. Check local reef clubs/forums.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  12. Fresh2Salt

Fresh2Salt Feather Duster

You could just throw up a cheap one just to see if you want to stick with the hobby... Then upgrade later down the road if you need a better light fixture.