Lighting question.

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Toronto_Guy, Mar 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

I just tore down my freshwater tank, and stored most of the components. The tank itself was damaged while being moved and I had to trash it. I was running a fish only tank for years.

I had a 37 gallon tank, which is basically a tall 29 gallon. I had a "Glo" lighting fixture with a single 24W T5 bulb. Would this be enough lighting for a planted tank? I'd like to set one up at some point.

I'm fine with going with a 29 gallon tank, or a 37 if the consensus is that it would give me enough light.

2. Click Here!

3. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

welll...if in planting as in corals or like micro or cheato algea.....you could probebly pull of some mushrooms and maybe some zoanthids for corals but nothing special

4. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

No, I was talking about a freshwater planted tank. ;D

If I go decide to set up another salt water tank with that stand, I'd go with much stronger lighting.

5. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

OOOOO yea man that would be plenty of lighting for that im sure i do saltwater but im sure that would be fine for freshwater

6. Plantman

Plantman Plankton

In my experience you need AT LEAST 1.8 watts per gallon for a standard tank. a tall tank would need just a bit more 2 to maybe 2.2 watts per gallon.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gabriel

Gabriel Astrea Snail

hi.i have it one question about light.now have for my 92g tank 100x60x60cm a 6x39w T5 ho.

but fluorescent lamp not have so muche penetration up to 60cm.and i want to change in HQI lamp.maybe 2x150w or 3x150w.i have it one problem i can put this lamp HQI up to 8cm above water that place does not allow me.my question is :I have problems because of too much light output?.(I mean the explosion of algae....)

I know that the HQI lamps place at least 40cm above.

is someone who uses HQI lamp for freshwater and is so close?

practical support legs of the lamps is 8-10cm.