Lighting question.

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by rickzter, Jan 13, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Has anyone out there in the hobby ever tried adding Hyper-white LED's to their light setup? I dont think LED's are brighter than halides, but can hyper-white LED's harm coral tissue?

I have been researching to add them in my tank to give it extra white light and want to ask if anyone ever tried it. I have come across a nice LED strip, 12v for a good price.

2. Click Here!

3. The Salt Creep

The Salt Creep Astrea Snail

You would need a whole lot of LEDs and even then I have seen nothing regarding the spectrum of light they provide. I assume it would be balanced if the light is white but assuming can get you into trouble.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I purchased 4 strips, 6" inch each with 6 Hyper-flux white LED lights. All are operated by a 12v adapter. I really do not want this as a light source for coral stimulation, just to enhance the brightness of the aquarium a tad and also add that cool "ripple effect".

5. The Salt Creep

So how do they look? People use them as moonlights so as long as there aren't too many I doubt they would hurt corals. I don't think you will get much of a ripple effect while running other lighting with them. I know from doing testing on T5's that a single one will put shimmer lines to the bottom of the tank but once you add in more lamps the shimmer is reduced. Just running a strip of those LED's should give you cool shimmers. Maybe if you ran them right at the front of the tank you would get what you are looking for with your main lighting on too.

6. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Shimmer?

LED's will not harm anything in your aquarium, (I promise) but Creep is right when he says it will take a whole lot to get a significant number in lumens. If it looks white then it is a "balanced" spectrum centered around 570nm (yellow.) That is not to say that there are equal percentages, because the human eye is NOT balanced.
    I don't understand how LED's will produce a "shimmer". I know that halides do because of the way the lamp arcs, but LED's are constant current semiconductor devices that will not generate a "flicker" or "shimmer."
    LED's are very efficient, but are still generally low output devices. That is why they are used in mostly battery powered devices presently. If you like the color and price, then I say-- let us know the result!!

Have fun

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Ahhh, no shimmer?? The guy just shipped them today and I will be installing them later this week. I will definetly post the results and whether or not the corals respond to them, although I doubt. I will also see if it increases the lighting in the tank, but I am planning to add 2 more blue & white T5's to the tank pretty soon. Total of 4.2wpg!

The lights are a true White. The MCD is 600 per bulb (there are 6 bulbs on each strip). They have a 105 degree viewing angle. These LED strips are used to light up signs at baseball games or displays in a shop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  8. Click Here!

9. The Salt Creep

I guess it will depend on the lenses they use. The moonlight LED's I have shimmer big time. Your LED's may have a lense designed to make a glow rather than a beam. Hope they work for you.

10. APC

APC Gigas Clam

They look like they are under cabinet lights to me. I would be very careful to make sure they can be placed in a wet, humid area. Don't want to start a fire, or get electrocuted.

11. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

All of the leds I have on my tanks have a shimmer, I have 3 brands

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I know, I'm gonna have to make a plexi gaurd for them, but are about 6+ inches away from water, although when my hand is in there I occasionally rub up against my lighting. Thanks for the caution.

I should get them tomorrow! I will keep everyone posted.