Lighting Problem

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by alarsuel, May 18, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alarsuel

alarsuel Astrea Snail

I came home yesterday to find my nano reef lighting was wrong. I retro fitted a 32w power compact 50/50 into the 5 gallon tank. The problem is, after running fine for 3 weeks or so, yesterday the blue light comes on fine (perhaps a little dull), and the white light barely flickers on at all. The light itself is only a few weeks old, so it shouldn't be burned out. Any ideas. Could it be the ballast? I thought not, because it worked fine for weeks, but who knows. I will check the connections again, but I don't think that is it either. Any thoughts are appriciated.

2. Click Here!

3. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

It sounds like a ballast issue to me. First check that the bulb is still inserted in the socket or end-cap properly and that no salt creep or corrosion got up into it. Maybe cleaning the contacts is all that's needed. If that doesn't help, take the bulb in to you LFS and have them test it in another hood or fixture for you. If it works fine, you know it's the ballast. If not, you can just buy a bulb while you are there!