Lighting Poll!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Bruce, Dec 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Should I Change From PC ---> Mhs?

1. Yeah go for it!

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. Nah, dont risk the corals...

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

I say no. Sure you could get the corals to adapt, but what will it gain you? If you were doing a strictly SPS and Clam tank, then it might be justified, but for a mixed tank you have plenty of light from PC's. MH are just going to make you spend more money and deal with more heat.

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya, now i just need to find the money lol...anyone wanna buy some 265 watt pc lighting? this is some good old fastion 1st generation custom sea life and not current! now the current 48" is i think 220 w because they use 55w bulbs :)

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Your not even going to consider T-5HOs

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well...im thinking that if im going to upgrade my lighting i might as well go all the way

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Bah Hum bug. All the way. 4 48" overdriven T-5s will produce More light at less wattage than 2x250W. 500W less light vs. 320W more light. Plus you won't end up running a chiller with T-5s. Just something to mill over...

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well, i think i am going to go with (if i do...) the outer orbit 2x 150w HQI mhs + 2 130w pcs...i dont think i need a chiller because of all the ac and because i am going to put it about 12-18 inches above the water...but im still not sure

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Wow...i might do this...i am seeing a slight color in my neon green turned brown acro...if it will come back slowly with pcs then it will definitly come back with mh....ugh i just am still 50% lol...

10. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Metal halides certainly give a different look to your tank compared to PC's. I love the shimmering effect that simulates the ocean. I say go for it.
    I own an orbit 60" fixture for my 120g and it is very well made. Over 1yr old and no problems. The MH aqualights by corallife seem well made too. They have an external ballast compared to the Orbit MH's which have an internal ballast. The Aqualights are also modular and all the parts are supposed to be replaceable but it only has 2X96w PC bulbs and 2X150w HQI vs 2X130w PC bulbs and 2X150w HQI in the Orbit. If you look at the Aqualights the PC bulbs are staggered and may give uneven lighting, where in the 48" Orbit the larger PC bulbs run the full length of the fixture. Good luck what ever you decide.

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Wait so are the pc lights for the outer orbit staggered or does they run the whole way through? and would the 48" version of yours be staggered?

12. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Bruce, the power compacts in the Orbit run the length of the fixture in in the 48" and my 60". In the 48" MH Aqualights by corallife the PC bulbs are staggard if you look a a picture of the. My LFS carries both and the Aqualights look really sharp and I like the external ballast over the orbits but the orbits have better power compact wattage.