lighting on a ten gallon

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by blackreef13, Jun 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

Would a 70 watt pendant be enough lighting on a 10 gallon im lookin to keep sps

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I wiuld think so since its not very deep but I have never had halides

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Oh yeah - that'd be plenty.

Just be sure to get a new bulb if you do not know how old the other bulb is.

Also, you may have to mount it pretty high above the tank to prevent extreme ammounts of heat from being transferred from the light to the tank w/o using a chiller.

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

yes that would work, but why not t5? heat is going to be a issue with a halide and 10g

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

For that matter (and your wallet's sake) why not two PAR30 fixtures from BOOSTLED? You can do SPS with only two fixtures - you will still get the shimmer of the MH with the output of the T5s with no bulbs to replace, less electricity burned and dramatically reduced heat ouput even over T5's.

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

agreed

8. Click Here!

9. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

yea over a month i have been debating over metal halide and boost led and i was thinking of long term at what rate would sps grow under leds ans also i wasnt sure if i have to buy the lamp kit for the par 30s to work or can i use any normal lamp socket

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

BOOSTS lamp mount is very nice - but there are plenty options.

You can use any PAR-style screw in fixture/lamp bulb holder.

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

any normal light socket will work. track lighting, desk lamp, ect... just make sure the heat sink is exposed so it doesnt overheat. im switching from halides to par38 now because of the heat.

12. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

I would go BoostLED all the way! They will last you probably 5+ years without having to change them. I have mine in a couple goose neck lamps I got from home depot for $14 each and just cut the base off with a dremel. The shades just screwed off. They are attached to a 2x4 with a pipe clamp and the 2x4 is mounted on the wall and since the back glass is painted you cant see anything. There is little to no heat transfer. I live in FL and keep my a/c on 78-80 when im out and my tank stays around 78 during the day and drops to about 76 at night.

In a 10g do you really want your corals to grow super fast? You run out of room quick!!