lighting on a 40 gl reg

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by tresguey, Aug 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

my lfs told me all i needed was a 24in 50/50 flouresent bulb for my reef tank. and that is all he had on his tanks and they thrive well. i asked him is there a difference on the depth of the tanks because your tanks are only 10in deep. he said no. :'( so like an idiot i went cheep and bought the flouresent. my question is, do i have to go with the mh or can i just use some pc's ?

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Under your profile, under Sig, why don't you put your tank and setup info so the wonderfully enlightened folks here can help you out! They have all helped me tremendously!!! ;D

They can make better suggestions if they know what you are working with...... ;D

4. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

PCS will work for all but SPS and clams COralife makes a great PC hood you may want to checkout!

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

What are your tank dimensions? It will make a difference for some corals as they will do better the closer to the PCs they are. I concur with Darin on the general guidelines for SPS corals and clams.

In addition, one bulb does not sound sufficient for your 40 gallon. I have 110 watts of 10,000kK PC lighting on my 20 gallon long that is only 9" deep from the water surface to the sand.

6. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

a 40 reg. the dim. is 36-24-18

7. captivereefs

That would allow you to run (2) 96 watt PC'S wich would be adequate for that tank.

8. Click Here!

9. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

with 2 96's could i have clams and sps?

10. Craig Manoukian

SPS iffy, clams no on all but one genus of ornamental clams. can't remember the genus off hand, but check with Barry at ClamsDirect, they are one of our sponsors.

11. captivereefs

I would say no. I never like to put SPS corals under the minimum light. They may survive uner these lights but color and growth will be less than desireable.

Have you thought about an Metal Halide 20K HQI pendant? A coral vue pendntwill run $297 and give you al the light you need for anything you want!Plus the 20K bulb eliminates the need for actinics. You would have to hang it from the ceiling or into a canopy. Just another thought!

12. Craig Manoukian