Lighting my 40G, ?s about 120W dimmable LEDs

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by oadasilva, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Check out the led forfum. You might just find a thread on the rgb unit.

2. Click Here!

3. TURBOFREAK403

TURBOFREAK403 Astrea Snail

185 gets u 24 leds, lenses, wiring,dimmable drivers, thermal paste and power cords.
    53 gets 6 x 20 heat sink, splast shield, cooling fans, cable mount system
    dimming control with potentiometers is 30.

taotronics looks to be best bang for buck so far

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

yes yes. But people will say, rapid lex uses cree leds wich are better then the bridgelux leds. And that you will need more brideglux leds to get the same comparison with the cree. But sence you are getting 55 leds instead of 24 and its dimmable and cheaper. you are right it is a better deal.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Depth of tank is a major factor. With shallow tanks, bridgelux can perform fine like you state. But no matter how many there are, they can't penetrate depth like Cree can.

6. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

yea well they come with 120 deg optics. That should be good if less then what 18in deep? and you can get 90deg if you want the light to go deeper.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Put your unit closer to the water. I plan on keeping my 7" above the water line. Many people have to run their Tao's at 50-70% due to the intensity as it is.

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

These chinese lights are taking over the led market it seems. A ton of people go with this option. I like the light from taotronics but love my sol way too much to consider ever changing. plus I like supporting my guys over in Ames, IA.

anyway, i think one of these lights would be fine over your 40 gallon.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I think it comes down to affordability. These taotronic like lighting companies have found a way to offer a quality product at affordable prices. I would much prefer to go with a "better brand", but I don't have $500-$1,000 to waste on a lighting unit, especially in a hobby where technology and knowledge changes by the day and when there is a proven, successful option out there for less money. When I first set up my tank 3 years ago, LEDs, skimmers and reactors were rarely talked about, now they are a staple. Look on the bright side, these Chinese lights may drive the price of the other lights down; that's good for everyone.

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I dont think there is anything wrong with these lights as an affordable option at all.

12. TURBOFREAK403

TURBOFREAK403 Astrea Snail

good to know guys, thanks!