Lighting heat problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Alrighty so my 10 gallon fresh tank is just a regular tank kit with the indcadescent two bulb fixture that fits right Onto the hood. Here's the problem- when I wake up in the morning I turn the light on, by the time I get home from school the tank is at 83-84 degrees. The room is 70-73 and I can't change it because it would change all of the upstairs. This morning I had enough so I took off the light and put two 3w LED desk lamps over the little glass top. What can I do fast for a while? I don't have any money for another fixture. Are there any techniques to cool down a light or tank?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

What about your 10 gallon fish tank? What about the heat?

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I think I understand that you took the light part off the stock top and that left a little glass part where the light usually sits? So the tank is fully covered other than where the hang on filter is? Anyway to open the top up a little bit to let heat escape? If possoble I would trim the back of the top, IIRC the back is molded in a way the you can snap sections out for filters and such. I would open up all I can and look for a small clip on fan to blow across the open area.
    I hope I helped a little in my rambling lol,
    Jake

5. AquaStudent

AquaStudent Astrea Snail

IME incandescent bulbs provide a lot of heat and not that good of light. I have an incandescent hood over my 5 gallon but instead of using the incandescent bulb i swapped it out for a CFL. I was able to get a 6700k bulb rated at 13 watts. Now I have a medium light planted tank with great lighting. I was able to grow a carpet of plants and a moss wall along the back and one of the sides.

In summary, depending on what's in the tank you may want to look into CFL. They produce less heat and IMO provide better lighting. They are only $4-8 a bulb if that. Opening up a hole like Coylee said is also an option but I don't like to put holes in something if I'm not absolutely s ure it'll fix the problem. It's easier to make a hole than to fill it back to what it was before.

6. SwimsWithFish

Thanks! Yeah I already snapped all the plastic strips off the back. I would open the lid but I have a yo yo loach(I know the tank is way too small for a loach, he's small and only there until I can kill off all the snails. Hell be going into a 29 in a few months.) I guess I could put some egg crate over it. Would a zoomed fan help?

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A fan blowing across the water at an opening should help some.

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

Thanks guys. I'll probably get the marineland aquarium led in a few weeks.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I never run lights all day on a non-planted FW tank; as long as it's receiving light from the room it's fine. That eliminates heat issues and helps cut down on algae problems. :)

11. SwimsWithFish

The two LED desk lamps add a nice wave affect on the substrate. I think I'll keep it like this:)

Attached Files: