lighting: general

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by BMXCLAY, Dec 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BMXCLAY

BMXCLAY Purple Spiny Lobster

i need a general understanding of how the lighting should be chosen. I have always went by the 3watts per gallon rule in my understanding but it seems as though that is not the case anymore. Can you please help me in choosing a T5 system or a LED system for my 75 gallon reef tank. (48")

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

This is a good one. There are a lot of options. With T5, you want to make sure the bulbs have individual reflectors. I would say a 6 bulb set up would be good enough for yours. With that being said, I'm still a metal halide guy.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

whats your budget? what's your plans for the tank? corals? what ones? etc

5. BMXCLAY

I would like to have mainly soft corals but some hard corals towards the top of the tank. I will have the light directly above the corals. I have a budget between 350 and 450. I will be able to also feed the corals liquid foods directly if that helps.

6. BMXCLAY

The LFS recommended a 4 bulb light that is 350.

7. BMXCLAY

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  10. BMXCLAY

So I would have to get two of them and I could grow just about any coral with them?

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Yep...if you are going to go LED, that's the way I would go. I'm going to fight this LED thing as hard as possible. =P

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I have 1 on half my tank, and a rapidled on the other half, and I can grow ANYTHIng with them, plus the look of them is great. I have 2 clams under them.

you'll need a timer for them $6 at Lowes.

the problem with T5 although they grow great is you need to replace the bulbs every 9 months or so, and that's at $20 a bulb plus shipping whereas these led's should be fine for 5-10 years, and are dimmable/adjustable which is great to change the look of your tank or to acclimate stuff with.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/rapidled-verse-reefbreeders-led-thread-138833.html