Lighting for New Tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by kcbrad, Nov 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

KC this is the other light I was considering. I went with T5s due to factors steve pointed out. I am still considering buying it just to see if I can tell a differance between them for my own sake.

Odyssea Metal Halide System

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

1 person likes this.
  4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

That's sure a nice looking light! And I would love a built in timer - how handy. Wow, lunar LEDs...I had no idea lights were so fancy! haha

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I wouldnt recommend an odyssea unless they plan on modding it. I dont think are girl kc is gonna mod her light. ;)

IMO t5's will be the easiest best route.

Steve W covered many good things on the different lighting options. MH's could cause a "challenging" factor with heat issues and may force you to buy a chiller like me (still have to do it... cringing my teeth bout it) :(. But dont take me wrong a chiller may be needed due to other factors. t5's due put off heat.... and your ambient room temps may force a chiller on your tank. But I dont wanna turn this thread into a chiller discussion.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Sorry about this if it's a super lame question, but what does "modding" mean? :-/ And what about the light in the URL I added a few posts above?

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

modify it.... I "modded" my light. Replaced ballasts, lamp sockets, and lamp cables. I pretty much rebuilt my fixture to be much better.

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

yeah, they have everything for tanks! If I were you, go T5.. Look at AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LED's
    I bet you would really like it.. Its well built and puts out some serious light if you ever got into corals.. Mine is 12" shorter than this and it grows SPS Acropora and Montipora at a rate of about a 2 mm a week.. which is pretty good..

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Oh, I would do that!! That sounds fun. I like to do stuff like that. I'm no girlie girl!

1 person likes this.
  12. tatted4ever

:eek::eek::eek: 8)8)8). Cool....