Lighting for New Tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by kcbrad, Nov 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hi All,

As some of you know I'm planning on upgrading my tank. I'm doing okay researching filters, skimmers, power heads, etc. but I'm confused on lighting. If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it!

I'm thinking about getting a 75 gallon long tank. I would like to eventually make it a reef tank (with fish). I've read online too much light can stress out the fish, bleach corals, etc. What would be a good amount of light and what type of light? What size light (inches) would I need? What's a good brand? And if I were to get a 90 gallon, what about lighting? I'm very thankful for any advice anyone can offer!

I'm trying to research online but I'm having a hard time.

Thank you!!

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

1 person likes this.
  4. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

its a long tank so i believe it is five foot not sure though so might have more trouble finding lighting for it

1 person likes this.
  5. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

1 person likes this.
  6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks! I've read good reviews about that brand. They are pretty expensive, but maybe I could find a good deal.

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi KC

Is a 75 long a 4ft tank?

if so T5 x 54 watts and 6 tube would be my choice ( made that choice myself)
    you could even look at an 8 tube fixture which would give you more choices on lamps
    so you can have great PAR combined with aesthetics ( mess with tube combinations for a colour you like to look at whilst still keeping the needs of the corals in mind

the other option would be MH - a twin MH fixture with T5 Supplement Actinics
    MH are good for 2ft - so 2 would be ideal on that size tank

MH - great lighting, good growth on corals, great at bringing out the colour of corals etc
    but they generate a lot of heat, which may mean a chiller is required to maintain reasonable tank temperature

T5 - run cooler and is still being proven by many people to be capable of supporting SPS and Clams - cost of purchase is cheaper than MH as are running costs

Steve

1 person likes this.
  10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

to clear up any confusion a 75 is 4ft... which is 48inches long ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thank you tatted4ever

post editted

Steve

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks a lot for the thorough answer Steve. I'm thinking T5 because they are cheaper and I really don't want to spend money on a chiller either. I will make a pro and con list for both types though. ;) I like to make lists!

I will use the information you gave me to do more online research. Thanks again!

1 person likes this.