Lighting for my 30 Gal Tall

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by UMdmd, Sep 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

Hey guys,

I am setting up a 30 Gal tall with a 20 gal sump.  I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for lighting.  I was hopeing to have an anenome , a pair of clowns, xenia and what ever else might fit in peacefully.  I was looking at a coralife Powercompact hood with 2X65w.  One 10,000K and one Atlantic bulb. Current USA also makes a similar light, but it has lunar lights.  The tank is 24"wide by 12" deep  y 25"tall.  I know that I will have issues with the tank being so tall, but I would keep the anenome and other coral close to the top.  Any suggestions you all have would be great.  

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hello!

Good luck keeping your anemone where "you" want it...as it is very likely to move to where "it" is happy ;D

I have a 60 gallon that it about 24 inches high...I have one 10,000 K metal halide with 2 VHO actinics. I just got a rose bubble tip anemone. .. it walked up the back of the rockwork and is hanging out in the back of the tank

I don't know if PC's will work with a tank as high as yours....I am still kindof a newbie...perhaps someone else can chime in here?

4. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

To keep an anemone I would either suggest you get more PC wattage or go with MH or VHO. Coralife also makes 4 bulb fixtures.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You will need a Metal Halide light for your 30 tall to keep an anemone as birdlady correctly assessed.

6. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I think you could do it under PC or VHO if you had enough wattage. MH would definitely be better. Two 65 watt won't do it though.

7. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I have a 30 gal tall and I keep a pink tip anemone that has doubled in size in 4 months and my lighting is only one 65 watt 50/50 coralife PC. I think it depends on what kind of anemone you have though , some require more light than others. I try to make up for the lack of light by feeding my anemone twice a week. I think coralife makes a 96 watt 24" PC, thats probably what I would suggest for the money.

8. Click Here!

9. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

If I were to go with the PC how much wattage would I be needing for my 30 gal. Also If i decided to go with the MH would the wattage be the same and how much is this going to cost me. The coralife with 2X65 is going to cost about 150, while the MH would cost well over 200. Just wanted to thank you guys for all your help