Lighting for JBJ 12 gal-older model hood

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Nanohooked, Jul 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nanohooked

Nanohooked Plankton

I replaced the fans in the hood of my 12 gal JBJ and when I plugged it in I believe I blew the ballast. There were FIREWORKS, UGH!
    After a little inspection I noticed the red wire (front of hood with white wire) detached. I soddared it back on and tried a new and old bulb with no luck. It's about $175 to replace hood and ballast; they discontinued the hood I have.

Due to panic and cost, I already purchased a used 28 gal JBJ and transferred content. My 12 gal is still running waiting on lighting and I don’t want to give it up.

I would really like to use canopy lighting without the hood but I can't find anything that is short and strong enough for easy care corals; Zoa's, mushrooms, leathers, torch coral, etc.

The location where it is sitting on my kitchen counter has a 1' regular under the counter light. Could I use that energy source in any easy way and put in a coral bulb?
    I am not fond of playing with electricity but I'm sure if required I could remove existing fixture and hardwire ballast in same location if I knew what to buy!
    I sure would appreciate any advice or suggestions.