Lighting for Green Monti Cap and Green Encrusting Monti

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by LoJack, Aug 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I have both of these pieces ... both of which are in the sand bed right now adjusting to the light in my tank.

The monti cap came out of a shallow frag tank with a 250 watt metal halide over it

The encrusting Monti came out of an 18" deep tank with T-5's over it

I currently have a 400 Watt Lumenarc L3 Stealth on my tank, 14 000 K Ushio bulb.

What would be the best placement for each?

What is the standard light requirement for monti's?

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

standard is low to high. No seriously that's what it is. Monti's can handle a ton of different lighting conditions. With your lights I would place the montis wherever I wanted to and watch them grow.

4. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I would like to put them at the top ... since most pieces can't handle that type of lighting, the top of the tank is rather bare.

What kind of time increments would you recommend for the slow move up ... The last thing I want is bleaching, or bad reactions by the corals.

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

+1 I would personaly keep the cap lower as to keep future realistate avalible they grow out quick and block alot of light as for the encrusting where ever you like should be fine with your lights

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

With montis, you should watch bleaching, they generally require less light then most other sps corals. If you want the best color out of them, you should have them about half way up, and watch them. Do you have any pictures of your corals?

7. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Encrusting:

[​IMG]

Plate:

No photo, its a new frag. Looks identical to this ... almost the same shape even lol:

[​IMG]