Lighting for a 20Gallon?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

What makes you so worried about the Odyssea brand? What safety issues? One guy a few years ago? I can set my house on fire with IceCap or Coralvue ballasts too if I'm an idiot.

It is irksome when people repeat what they hear with no experience. I have the Odyssea unit as well as many other folks on the site. It's generally agreed the stock bulbs suck, the ballasts leave a little to be desired, but they're good units. I can replace the bulbs and the ballasts with good bulbs and have a unit that's still cheaper than many of the other available brands. I still have the stock ballasts and they are doing fine.

Yes they have.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Only reason why i worry about odyssea is because of their mixed reviews. I don't really know much about the brand. I like how that they are low priced, and with this tank that's what i'm going for. Do the fixtures put out a lot of heat, i just want to make sure that the tank doesn't get too hot because it's small. And does the fixture create any noise?

4. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

ive got 3 tanks with odyssea fixtures above them , I personally have had a good experiance with them I even recently upgraded from a coralife that gave me nothing but problems to an odyssea fixture. also everything ive read about the fires from the odyssea fixtures were because of an old design with thier magnetic ballasts that are not in use anylonger ( If im wrong please feel free to correct me :( )

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i may just have to try a simple 2 bulb odyssea fixture, which i'm sure would be fine to grow GSP and Xenia with my size of tank.

lol i hope 3 months goes by quick, i can't wait until i have this project going, two projects going at a time, so fun :D