Lighting for 65 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Glewis121, Jan 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Glewis121

Glewis121 Astrea Snail

Hi-

I have a 65 gallon tank with the dimensions 36 long by 25 tall by 19 deep.
    Currently all i have in it are a few fish and 40 pounds of fijian live rock. The rock is not as colorful as it should be and i also want to begin buy some corals such as an anemone for my clowns and then some montipora sps coral and maybe some mushrooms and zoas.

I am also going to get 50 more pounds of live rock to do some aquascaping. what kind of live rock should i get? More premium Fijian...and if so from where?

The main question of the thread however is what kind of lights am i going to need to sustain this tank?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef!
    Best of luck to you and your endeavors with salt. It can be a very educational, enjoyable and rewarding experience but it doesn't come without its downfalls either, unfortunately.
    As for lights, with what you described in wanting, these can be housed under subdued lighting, except for the anemone, whcih i would refrain from getting at least right now with a new tank, plus the lighting and other requirements are not for the novice aquarist. Anemones are a very demanding animal that should be attempted by a experienced aquarist-also, Clowns do not need to have an anemone for it to thrive and live a healthy and happy life.
    Live rock can be of any type from varoius areas in my opinion. I prefer to get a varied amount of rock from different parts of the world to receive a diverse amount of living organisms that are endemic from that particular area that the rock is from, won't be accomplished with rock from the same Fiji Islands.
    T5's and Halides, I feel would be your best alternative!

4. Glewis121

Glewis121 Astrea Snail

This is my 2nd tank my other one is a 180 gallon bow.

Also i want to buy the light the most advanced lighting system so that when i get my anemone it has the correct lighting. i do not want to buy lighting setups more than one.

any sugestions? Brand? Model? site to buy it from?

Thanks

5. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue