Lighting for 29gallon FOWLR tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Jake, Apr 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

My 29 gallon tank is standard size (30" long). I live in Hawaii, and will not be keeping corals. My goal is to provide the enough light to grow coraline algae throughout my tank, but at the lowest possible wattage. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated! I'm on a limited budget and want to make the right choice first!

Marineland LED Double bright lighting system - really like the energy efficiency, but is this enough light to grow coraline? Right now, this is my first choice.
    Amazon.com: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System, Adjustable from 26-34": Home & Garden

Aqualight T5 HO Dual Lamp Light fixture - good looking fixture, 78 W.
    Aquarium Light Fixtures: Coralife Aqualight HO T-5 Dual Lamp Aquarium Light Fixture

GLO T5 HO Double Lamp - good looking, 48 W.
    Aquarium Lighting for Planted & Reef Aquariums: Hagen GLO T5 HO Linear Fluorescent Fixtures

Coralife Lunar Aqualight - 130 W, a lot of light at a low price, but is all of that power needed?
    Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

2. Click Here!

3. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I can tell you hands down you will not be happy with the marineland. My moonlights on my t5s or more impressive than these. eliminate this from your consideration.

Coralife is going to be best brand but this is not a t5 fixture and as you said uses maybe more power than you may want. I would say the aqualight decent wattage and its a t5 fixture. very very last choice would be glo with marineland not considered at all.

1.aqualight (good choice)
    2.coralife (next choice)
    3.glo (poor choice)
    4.marineland (bad choice)

But there may still be better fixtures out there for that price range. As others will chime in.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

i like my glo bulbs. look into the novas t5 ho. theyre cheap and efficient

5. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

1 person likes this.
  6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I agree Nova would be a better choice than the aqaulight. less expensive as well.

7. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

It seems there are a lot of choices in this class of lighting. Thanks for the NOVA fixture. I somehow missed that one during all of my online shopping.

I have a question though, given that the Aqualight and NOVA are both T5 HO fixtures, but the Aqualight has a higher W rating (78 vs. 48), shouldn't the Aqualight be brighter? I'm confused because the reviews on the Aqualight say it is not bright enough, and the reviews on the NOVA say it is very bright. I'm asking because they are about the same price (Amazon has the 30" aqualight at $102).

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

1 person likes this.
  10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

that link for aqualight t5 is a 36" wide unit explaining higher wattage = longer bulb.

also PC fixtures use more power and bulbs wont last as long too. bigger varities in t5 bulbs than pc's.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Voting for the Nova as well

12. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Thanks guys, I'll be getting the NOVA. It costs less than I intitially thought I would have to spend too :) I'll take a before picture of my tank to show any coraline growth.