lighting for 29g reef

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Benjamin, Jul 22, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Astrea Snail

I am considering making my 29g a reef tank, and was just curious as to what kind of lighting I should go with. I have heard that I should do MH, VHO, or PC. I would just like some opinions from some of you. I think that the tank width is around 24 inches if that helps. Also, I want to be able to put whatever I want in the tank once I get the lights.

Benjamin

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What is the height of that tank?

I had a 30 long with a 150w 10k halide.
    Halides are possible if they are high enough off the water, open top helps to keep the heat down...

If the tank isn't that deep you could do pc's.

VHO's would work as well. Really up to you and what you can afford. If you can afford a 150w halide, I say go for it. With a tank that small you would probably want to suspend it.

your call...

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Astrea Snail

tank is 18inches tall. Just was looking for some input. I have heard with MH the light should be about 12" from the water line. Is this a good value?

Benjamin

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah that's right in the range. Mine was around there, maybe higher. Some say 10".

I say turn it on the light, hold it sideways close to the wall and slowly pull back till the hotspot is a little less than the dimensions of the tank. Measure the distance from the wall. ;)

6. B16Raider

B16Raider Plankton

I have a 30 gallon tall, all glass. The tank is 24x12x24 and I actually decided to go the MH route with the lighting on my tank. I had a 12'' high canopy built, with one 250 watt 10,000K Hamilton MH and two 75 watt URI VHO actinics. There is also a fan installed on one side of the canopy. I haven't set it up yet, but I say if you have the money then why not go for it. I'll post pictures as soon as I get my tank up and running. Goodluck with your decision. ;D

7. mflee9

mflee9 Plankton

I have a 29 gal with 2x65 watt pcs.
    If I had to do it over again, I would go with the set up that B16Raider has.

8. Click Here!

9. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

To worry with heat or Not to worry with heat! That is the question!

Metal halides are definately the choice for most but what kind of corals are you planning on growing. If you want polyps, shrooms, softies and some LPS then there is no need for metal halide! Just use power compacts or VHO. Metal halides get very hot that is why you have to run a fan. But if SPS and clams is what you are after then use metal halides! But beware of the heat!