Lighting for 10 gal aquarium

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by coug, Nov 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coug

coug Astrea Snail

I'm looking for a preferably inexpensive light fixture for a 10 gallon tank. It's a typical chain store bought 10 gallon tank with I'm fairly certain a 20" (freshwater)light ballast currently on it. I would like a proper lighting fixture for a saltwater tank. Any recommendations are welcome. I have live rock, a single clown fish, one hermit crab currently in the tank. I would like the opportunity in the future to maybe put a small anemone in there.

Metal Halide, HQI????

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

sunpaq sells a 40watt pc retrofit kit.i'm very pleased with mine.i had to build a canopy for it cause no one sells a fixture for that wattage

5. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue

PC is probably the cheapest/best way to go. They use little electricity, much more adaptable and compact (and cheaper up-front) than T-5. For example, there's no 30" T-5. MH looks cool, but you probably couldn't get anything more than 150W and would need a large canopy to house the thing high enough off the water.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

MH's do come in 70 watts but I wouldnt put that over a 10gal tank. As David mentioned, PC's would be the best choice IMO. I had 130watts( 2 x 65 watts ) over a 45 gal tall tank and everything was happy. Keep in mind the rule of thumb for salt water is 4-5 watts per gal. of water for some corals. If you decide later you want more " light " demanding corals, you will need to up grade to 7-9 watts p/g. Hope this helps, Luna

1 person likes this.
  7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I just have a single 50/50 24w bulb over my 12 gallon tank and surprisingly a couple of small Anemones. Soft corals (zoa's, Kenya Tree and Finger Leather growing like gang-busters)...(plus a health patch of hydroids - :p)

If all you plan is to keep soft corals, you do not need much light in a Nano. Anemones may need a bit more. Small Anems, I suspect need much less then large.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. jasno999

jasno999 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have the coralive 96W power Quad and it is awsome. I got the legs for it so it sits about 3 inches off the surface of the water...

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am using a Current USA 80w dual satellite on my 10. it has a moon light (wish it was 2) a cooling fan (not one issue with heat), a separate cord for all the light and fan which is a nice feature. It also comes in a 40 watt version which is allot cheaper.

In this 10 Gallon are some Zoa's, Xenia, Kenya tree, a leather (name escapes me) a 5 (soon to be 6 head) candy cane, green star polyp, A mushroom or two (that hide under the ledge) various other no name polyps, Cabs, snails, and a rock with a large patch of hydra that's going to disappear soon :mad:, and yes Mr. McKenzie I know you tried to tell me! All are growing like crazy (especially the hydra)

So I would recommend a PC for that tank for sure.