Lighting during cycling

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by fletch, Apr 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I suggest you leave it in until your ammonia reaches .80.

Glad you liked the humor fletch!

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

OK I will do it again. Do you think that the high Ammonia will hurt my turbo snails?
    :-/

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=fletch link=board=lighting;num=1081816443;start=0#11 date=04/24/04 at 18:46:52]OK I will do it again.  Do you think that the high Ammonia will hurt my turbo snails?
    :-/[/quote]

One thing I may need to say is don't use stress zyme. It's not needed. You have LR and LS that is enough.
    If you pH is 8.3 or close to it and salinity is 1.024 or close to that then snails should survive the ammonia if on the down side of that cycle.
    Do you have algae in the tank? why did you add snails again?

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Yes I do have algae and that is why I added the snails, My tank has been running for about 4 weeks with nothing in it but the sand and live rock, I only have 25lbs of LR but I plan to get more next week from a LFS only 10 minutes away
    I added the stress zyme because I didn't use LS and I didn't think that 25lbs of LR would be enough to get my cycle going

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You really want to wait for ALL of your LR to be in and cured/cycled before adding any livestock. You will most likely get another ammonia spike with the additional LR and the increased Nitrites may toast your snails. Don't add any more critters and hope for the best! Good luck!

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Craig, Do you think I will have another cycle in my tank if I get my rock from a LFS that is only like 10 minutes from my house? :-/

I thought that it was OK to start adding snails to tank when you start getting a lot of algae growth in the tank :-[

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I would think you would start another cycle if the LR has not been cured yet.
    The current LR should seed the LS. Your UV filter should stop the algae unless you are feeding the tank tap water or water with alot of phosphates in it.
    Are you running charcoal in the tank? If so what kind is it? Since you really don't have live stock check out Marine SAT but I would use sparingly.
    Did you have a full cycle yet? ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates ?

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hi Nautilus, The live rock is cured that they are selling at the LFS I don't have my UV running yet as I thought it would interfere with the cycle, I am using only RO/Di water from my system. Yes I am running charcoal but it says it is Phosphate free. I don't have a bad out break of algae I have some brown and green algae on the sand but not a lot I have some  brown green and red algae on my rock but as I said I am not having a bad break out of any of it. I just figured I would get some snails to clean it up some.

PS The algae that is on the sand is going away and the snails are cleaning my rock and making it nice and clean

My last readings were

Ammonia  0.25

Nitrite  0

Nitrate  0

PH   7.8 A little low   And that was just now

Salt is 1.024

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

LOL  :D I just finished reading that I seen it on the 5 most recent posts and checked out the pH - Solutions to pH Problems  ;D ;) [​IMG][​IMG]

This is my tank so far I Made the stand ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]