Lighting Decision

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by TBarnes8908, Nov 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TBarnes8908

TBarnes8908 Astrea Snail

Hello guys. I am in need of a little advice. I currently have a 4 bulb T5 light fixture on my 46 gallon bow front. All four bulbs need replaced.

I have thought about replacing the T5 fixture with a LED fixture from Reefbreeders (120 watt Bridgelux Value LED fixture).

My question is, which option would be better for my tank, growing coral (some SPS, mostly softies), and be the most cost effective in the long run? Is this LED fixture worth changing to and will it sufficiently cover my tank? Or should I buy 4 new ATI bulbs for my T5 fixture and continue having to buy new bulbs each year?

Another option I had thought about would be to find a metal halide fixture on craigslist. I am not sure how each compare to each other and how much lighting from each fixture I would receive.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

LEDS are better :D

this is why:

electricty is 11 cents per KW here so for a 54 watt bulb x4=216 watts which is .216 KW

x10 hours a day(assuming this is your light schedual)=2.16 kw

x31 days= 66.96 kw

x12 months= 803.52 kw

x $.11= 88.39 a year

x10 years which is what a quality fixture lasts is $883.90

now at 20 bucks a bulb-gas or shipping if you replace them only once a year thats $80.00 bucks
    x10 years is $800.00

so total thats $1683.90 in ten years

now assuming you are talking about the 40 breeder fixture that has 72 leds at 3 watts a pice thats 216watts. this is the same as your current fixture

now that means you save 800.00 in ten year time on just bulbs, so at 299.99 for the fixture you have bought you fixture in that time and gotten paid for two more fixtures.

go with the leds and you wont regret it ;D

HTH

2 people like this.
  4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

LED is cheaper long run. If you replace the bulbs in a T5HO unit every 6-12months you will spend $80-160 a year on quality bulbs please the extra electric they require.

5. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Right now leds are top of the line, sure they have a high startup cost but were all going to have to get them eventually, you have the math right above me, i dont see why you wouldent do them.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Best long run choice...LED,best short term fix(pricewise)t5 bulbs,worst choice....ebay m/h.

7. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

LED's cost will get down and to be honest, many of these fixtures are getting very close to a MH's start up cost

8. Click Here!

9. Romie

Romie Feather Duster

your fixture will do great with coral growth the led's will be cheaper long run like they said before

i have a t5 on my 46 bow 4 bulb i bought each light for 14-18.00 each last time i replaced i don't know why they are different prices...

but i don't have any experience w/the led's and growth but i know they make the colors jump right out at ya

i will be doing some more research for my 125 gallon build and thinking about led's

10. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

IMO LED's will be cheaper in the long run. I would get the reefbreeders fixture if I were you ;)

11. Romie

Romie Feather Duster

have you made a decision yet? i'm wanting to order the same fixture but i can't get any feedback from users on it..

i would love to know what you think about it when you get it.. or if you've found any info on it good bad etc please post

12. Romie

Romie Feather Duster

have you decided i'm curious about any info you've found on this fixture because i want the same one :) and i haven't heard much feedback from users