Lighting crossroads!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by PLyons, Jan 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That would depend on the depth at which the coral is growing. :)

FTR, 14000K is the most popular among more experienced reefers as it produces excellent growth and color with their corals. With 14000K Phoenix MH bulbs, you won't need to use the CF; that unit was originally designed for 10000K MH plus supplemental Actinic CF before the higher Kelvin bulbs were available.

2. Click Here!

3. FishMagnet

FishMagnet Plankton

I've got the same fixture on my 75g. Bought it a number of years ago new and wish I could have gotten it for what you just paid for it.
    As someone noted its "tried and true". There isn't anything I haven't been able to keep that I know of, but I've just recently returned to the hobby so we'll see. I have a new tank in the works and will be going LED with that I think as this fixture won't fit on it.

As for mounting it...
    I tried hanging it but didn't like it. It tended to get in the way unless I hung it a couple feet higher then the tank, which I felt was too high.
    So instead I took the top off my canopy and use the legs to set it on the canopy instead of the tank, keeping the canopy "look" while allowing the light to sit at what I consider the right height above the tank. I personally like how it looks.

/edit - Oh, and the moon lights are bright. I use them for dawn/dusk.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. PLyons

PLyons Astrea Snail

Good to hear some good feedback from someone out there! I've been searching high and low for better feed back about this light. I have had other coralife products in the past and have been satisfied with them, but the only consistant thing I could find about this was that the ballasts were junk. That said, I just couldnt pass up a MH combo for under 250. I left the store telling myself that I was going to think about it and discuss it with my wife as it was still 250 bucks, but found myself turning around and buying it 20 minutes later. Had it set up before my wife got home and she hasnt even asked about it. She must really not care about my tank. I guess that could be a good or bad thing. (good this time!!!)

Anyway, my fears came true this morning. I turned on the MH's and went to make a pot of coffee. When I returned one of the MH's was out. I let it cool and tried to fire it again but nothing. I switched the ballasts around and still nothing. I even switched the bulbs around and still nothing. So now I know it isnt the buld or ballast. My thoughts are that it is the ignitor. I called Coralife today and they are sending me a new ignitor for free.

The LFS that I bought it from offered me a refund, but then I'm back to post 1 and dont know what direction to go.........and will end up spending 3 times more. I figured I would give this a try first.

Anyone out there had anything like this happen with this fixture or a similar?

From what I understand MH systems are pretty simple right? Just a bulb, ignitor, and ballast???

Thanks again

5. FishMagnet

FishMagnet Plankton

I've never had a problem with mine so can't really offer up help there. I feel bad your having issues but I do like that Coralife was so easy for you to work with. I'd like to know if that solves the issue.

I've got a smaller PC fixture of their's that never has worked right. Wonder what kind of reception they would give me if I called them about it some 5...6...7+ years after purchase.

6. PLyons

PLyons Astrea Snail

Well, it wasn't the igniter either. I called Coralife back and left them a message around 5:30 last night. They called be back today around noon. To my surprise it was the same individual that I spoke with the first time and he knew exactly who I was and what my problem was. This was all in a voice mail, but he gave me a run down of every piece and part that controls the MHs. He gave multiple suggestions and left his direct number so I could call him back. The unfortunate part is that I had to disassemble the entire light and test, test, test things. I couldn't get it to work so I started putting it back together to box up and return to the LFS. I decided to test everything one more time just for the hell of it and figured out that its just a bad connection where the light cord connects to the ballast. The light is working again, but for how long?

I going to call Coralife back tomorrow and see if they can send me a new power cord. Based on the past customer service I'm guessing they would be glad to do this.

I've read some bad reviews about their lighting products and customer service! But figured for the price I would take a chance. I have to say! Even with the trouble I've had with the light I am still very satisfied. They didn't even ask for proof of purchas or anything. They guy took my address and sent the part. I had it 2 days later.

FishMagnet-I would suggest at least giving them a call about your light. I'm not sure how long their warranty is, but its worth a try. They might be able to help, or even send some parts. Being that old I would imagine that you might have to pay for parts, but its prolly cheaper than a new light. Their # is 888-255-4527.

Good luck and let me know if they helped out.

7. FishMagnet

FishMagnet Plankton

So, you think it was just a loose connection?

I think if I was in your shoes and I had the money I would just go with a newer/better fixture considering the problems you've had so far.

8. Click Here!

9. PLyons

PLyons Astrea Snail

Problem is the money. I can't find a better fixture for 250 bucks. I wasn't planning on buying a new light when I went to the LFS but couldn't pass it up at that price. I might use it for a years or so while I save for an LED then switch