Lighting Choices

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by rking, Jun 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rking

rking Astrea Snail

I was recently given a 210gal tank by a friend and I'm in the process of planning what to do with it. My biggest question obviously, is lighting. Now, I wont be to a point where I need to commit to a certain lighting scheme for a while so I figure that this is the perfect time to talk about it. The obvious first choice is a MH/actinic combination, but I'm really interested in the progress the new LED lights have made. The tank is 84x24x24 so theres not a light bar made that long that I can find, and I'd like to mount a system inside a hood. I know that with MH I can use a 72" bar and it will reflect to the edges, but I'm not sure if the LED bar can do the same. On the other hand, the MH will require a chiller and more energy consumption than the LED will. Initial cost is not a major problem because I'll simply save longer to get the more expensive fixture before I start if thats what I need to do. I've read anything I could find on the Solaris lights from the manufacturer and advanced aquarist, and I've tried to stomach my way through the threads at reefcentral about this topic, but I can't get past the backbighting and petty arguments they have on the thread. What I'd like is an intelligent discussion about the merits/problems of each system so I can make an informed decision. I don't know if anyone but Tangster has had any experience with the LED system, but if any of you guys have one, or know someone who does, How does it work, look, etc. Were there any technical problems initially? Does it spread enough to cover an additional 6" on either end of the tank etc. etc. etc. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have on the topic.

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have 3-400w MH's over a 265g tank and I don't run a chiller. I have 2 fans in the canopy blowing across the top of the tank and 1 fan in the sump and I never see the temp get over about 77.8 right now and it is 90 degrees right now in the day here in Indiana. If you got the cash heck buy two of the Solaris lights and set them over your tank.

Are you sure you tank isn't a 215 instead of a 210??? If it's a Perfecto then I think it's a 215, may be wrong though....wife tells me I am all the time.

1 person likes this.
  4. rking

rking Astrea Snail

Lights

Hmm, dunno if its a 210 or 215, I just plugged the dimensions into a volume calculator. This was donated by one of the local universities for some reason I cant explain so I'm not sure of the brand. I wasn't really looking for 400's since the tank is only 24" deep, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have decided on that at some point in time. I was just under the impression that you wanted to go with 250's for a 24" tank and 400's for a 30+. Color temperature might have something to do with it as well. I just don't know which is the best way to go with this thing. What concerns me most about the LED's is whether or not they will cover the area I want. I'm not made of cash so I wont want to buy several LED fixtures if I can help it, but I would be willing to save longer to get one of them if it seems to be a better product overall.

5. tmgrash

tmgrash Astrea Snail

good question

Is there any out there on 3 reef that have experience with both LED and MH's? I am hoping that the LED's prove to be successfull.

Travis

6. bao

bao Plankton

check out my thread. I have a pic of the new series LED lights (400+watts). Its 36in in length. Youll notice how there are 3 pods of lights coming down that are spaced about 3in apart. The leds are positioned so that the lights shine straight down.

If you are concerned about light coverage with leds, you might have to think about "dead" spots. As for me, it isn't an issue so far, since i have no corals (new tank setup). My impressions of the LED is that they are freakin AWESOME!! You can see the light shimmering in the water. They are all programmable either custom or auto Lunar-solar cycles. Its pretty bad ass, what these lights can do. Auto dim for sunset, then slowly brighten for sunrises.

There is no heat generated from beneath the led lights. There are cooling fans at each end of the fixtures. So no heat added to tank. Power consumption is quite low compared to MH and other lights. You dont have to change bulbs. If an led fails, you can replace the strip (cost i dont know). Lunar lights look very cool at night.

My tank is 24 in deep, and i believe these H_4 series LED will do the job for almost all coral types. I highly recommend them if you got 2100.00 for lights (36") or more depending on size of fixture needed.

bao

7. DrHank

DrHank Plankton

You could use 3 250w 10k Mh. That would cover about 72". When you set up your rock work just end it 6" from each end. That will give you a fade out on each end (where there isn't any structure anyway. Alternately, ues 4 250w 10k Mh spaced evenly. You'll have light overlap but it won't make any differance.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

14k's will give you a more blue look if you are going with MH's. 10k's will be more of a yellow look. All bulbs are different though.

10. Sndwave80

Sndwave80 Bristle Worm

I would do 4x 250watt MH and 2x 6ft VHO Actinic powered by an Ice Cap 660. This would give a large even spread of lighting and not shorting your self on light the ends to grow those SPS everyone enjoys. But just my thought.