Lighting a 30 inch tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by chumslickjon, Jul 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

So I've had this 29 gallon tank for the past year almost. I started it to learn and to get me familiar with the hobby. I'm still getting there but think I'll keep this setup around for a little while. One day I may upgrade to a larger tank, but I don't have any immediate plans on that at this time.
    I currently use an Orbit system by current which uses 22 inch PC bulbs. it was given to me by a friend to help get the tank running. The light is adequate for the way I have the tank setup. I have a huge shelf that keeps all my corals half way deep in the tank.
    Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

I have dead spots on the left side of the tank since the bulbs aren't long enough. My polyps really spread out far and don't color as good. And I can't really grow anything lower in the tank, I'd also like to get a nem. so I've been shopping the idea of getting a new light system.
    I've done some research on LED, but it seems like I still need to suppliment with T5 lighting, they're similar to halide but LED doesn't penetrate the water column and need a shallow tank. Plus LED is still very pricey. So it sounds like this is not the right choice for this tank.
    T5 lights mostly come in 24 or 36 inch. The market for 30 inch simply isn't there and the 30 inch fixtures that are available are still using the 24 inch bulbs.
    I've recently come across a coralife fixture that is 30 inch and holds (4)31 watt 28 inch T5 bulbs. This sounds exactly like what I want. But then I started looking around for bulbs of this size, and again they're very hard to find. As a matter of fact, Coralife are the only brand that I've found to make these bulbs.

So what do you guys think?
    1. Keep what I have and focus on a larger build some time in the future.
    2. Buy the 30 inch Coralife and hope that bulbs remain available and the market increases.
    3. Buy LED, you'll be fine with it.
    4. Buy a 150 MH and ditch the PC's all together.
    Or make up your own answer.
    I also don't want to spend much more than $250 and would like something that would retain value and I could sell sometime down the road.

Oh, I also have an Ice Cap 430 ballast that I could use for some kind of DIY, but have very little experience with DIY lighting. I thikn it's only good for VHO T8 lamps.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Buy a 4 bulb 24" T5HO retrofit kit and DIY the lights. Stagger the bulbs laft and right to get light to the ends.

Hellolights.com has kits you could buy. It is simple to put together.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

5. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

I'd say 3 BoostLED Par 30's would be great and if you mount them just a couple inches above the water you could grow anything anywhere.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

That's exactly what I will be doing for my 29.

7. chumslickjon

But I wouldn't consider a 29 High to be a shallow tank. :confused:

Do you have experience with these lights?

8. Click Here!

9. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

10. chumslickjon

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm probably going to give these a try.

11. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

I don't think you will be disappointed. The mounting options for the bulbs are countless as well. I went to homedepot and got a couple gooseneck lamps with removable shades then cut the base off with a dremel. Mounted them to a 2x4 with a pipe clamp and then attached the 2x4 to the wall LOL.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/charlies-10g-nano-110877-4.html

last post shows my 10g when I first put the lights on. I have since moved the lights up a few inches by bending the gooseneck.