light upgrade question

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by VPBassist, Jan 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VPBassist

VPBassist Bristle Worm

I have a 40 breeder with only two hoT5s lights. One of the LFS has a used Coralife light for sale. It has one 250w HM, two 65w power compacts and led moonlights. Here's the exact light: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=ES53524 My questions are:

Is this going to be enough light for sps in a 40 breeder?
    Is $200 a fair price for this light or should I save my money for something better?
    Will I need a chiller now? I've never had MH lights, all I hear is how hot they are and how much power they consume
    What is the safest way to introduce a new light to my tank? Shorter photoperiods to begin?

Sorry for all the dumb questions but I want to get this right and have to stop worrying about my lighting.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

With the inclusion of the 250w MH, yes that would support SPS; however, so would a second 2-bulb T5HO fixture. :) You can check out John's 75g SPS reef running 4 T5HOs here:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...-updated-1-8-12-new-pics-page-98-a-81680.html

If you do get that unit, once you hang it high enough to get full coverage by the MH, you shouldn't need a chiller. You might need a fan blowing across the water though, especially in summer if you don't run AC when you're away from home.

For acclimation, you should be fine running the PCs full schedule, but start with a short photo period with the MH, then increase it by 1/2 hour or so per week. Just keep a close eye on your corals to make sure they don't start bleaching or showing signs of photo-stress.