Light type comparisons

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by jbaker, Nov 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Watt per watt they DO put out roughly the same amount of heat, they difference is the way its directed and dissapated.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

As far as PAR goes they compete well with MH, BUT the ones I have seen running aren't BRIGHT, if that makes sense? They seem dim. Also, everyone I've talked to that has a Solaris they HATE IT!! And regret the money spent on it. Yes they have AMAZING features but they aren't bug proof yet, just like any new technology it needs to work out the kinks

4. Dr.Fragenstein

[​IMG]

For example, this is the first I found even though I know there is more, also notice how high the light is off the tank?!?! I have mine only 2.5" or so from the water

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Can't wait to see the results/

6. aussie1975

aussie1975 Plankton

ok i am new to the whole scene.. i only got fluro light and fluro coral grow light... is this a really bad thing.. any advice... cheers

7. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

What type and wattage are they, they me only good for a fish only.
    This would be fine for starting off and then upgrading later on.
    Nothing good happens fast in this hobby

8. Click Here!

9. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

I think the PAR numbers are little off when comparing T5 to metal halides. Even with lower numbers I think the corals get more light at the same PAR number due to the light hitting the corals on all sides compared to a point source like a metal halide that hits the coral from only one direction. Just from my observations.

10. Dr.Fragenstein

True, this is another reason T5 is making great strides, its more of a full coverage. The only downside is typically the lack of "shimmer" people tend to love about MH. Also, while MH bulbs are expensive, a guy like me having to replace 8 Gman bulbs at a crack isn't saving all that much money on bulbs, BUT I will replace them less often.;D

11. savemeasunset

savemeasunset Plankton

I have a sunpod metal halide light and the tank seems to love it! I have a 40 gallon corner tank and the shimmer effect IS really cool, but even just this 150 watt light heats up the water terribly. I'm in Denver, CO and it's getting chilly here but the water still tends to be at 80 or so, sometimes even higher. I really didn't expect to have this problem and now I need to find myself a chiller! I'm about to get a T5 setup for my new 46 gallon bowfront, so soon maybe I'll have a less one-sided comparison. ;D

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i get different numbers for the penetration with every site i read, some say as shallow as 18" some say as deep as 25", so i just say around 20 inches. i think the penetration depth also changes based on the bulb length.

but anyway you stack it the halide has higher penetration just because of the greater wattage potential. which is why commercial aquariums use halides not t5. period lol

not trying to be a metal halide fan boy just trying to say thats the main advantage of halides.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008