Light type comparisons

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by jbaker, Nov 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Lighting is such a confusing subject, I hope the more experienced people on here can help make this simple for myself and others. Could someone create a list of advantages and disadvantages on the different types of lighting commonly available in this hobby using simple language. I don't think we need to get into spectrums, wattages, etc, etc. Just some basic comparisons on what each type of light is commonly used to grow what in tanks. MH vs PC vs VHO flourescent vs standard flourescent vs t5. I've looked and I can't find such a thing and the lfs guys seem to only be interested in making $. I think it could be very helpful. Thanks guys.:confused::confused::-/

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I will look around for an article.....I know there is one out there with the information you need. I just need to find it.

Two questions.....How deep is your tank and what do you ultimately want to keep in it?

1 person likes this.
  4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

stay away from every thing thats not t5 or MH you will be glad you did.
    t5
    runs cooler then halide
    slightly more efficent
    only good down 20 inches or so
    bulbs have very little depreciation over bulb lifespan
    MH
    runs hot
    puts out more light for bulb size
    can go down farther then 20 inches
    more shimmer lines through out the tank creating the illusion of the sun

For someone with the money:
    best lighting option is MH with t5 actinics.
    for someone with a tank deeper then 20 inches and wish to keep corals all the way to the bottom:
    MH period
    For someone with a shorter tank and doesn't care about the shimmer:
    T5

i have done both if you have a small tank get t5 if you have a big one get halide. that is the simplest recommendation i can give it doesn't get into the types of corals because you can keep any with both as long as the tank isn't to deep for t5s

1 person likes this.
  5. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

pharmrjohn, Im not looking for the info for my tank specifically, just general guidelines that would be helpful for people getting into the hobby or looking to upgrade what they have. Sostoudt is on the right track for what I was suggesting.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That sums it up pretty good. I use VHO Super Actinics T12's instead of T5's and have great results with them.

1 person likes this.
  7. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

This is a great topic. As I am going to be doing lights for my 120. I'm thinking of going MH but am concerned with the heat that will be held in my utility room and really do not want to have to get a chiller. Anyone use HL on an in wall with a utility room? problems with tank temps at all?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

T5 and MH put out the same amount of heat, difference is you can use half the wattage with T5 and this adds less heat to the tank.

T5:
    Pros
    More options in color adjustment
    In general less to setup
    Use less power (lower electric bill)
    Longer bulb life (12-24 months normally driven)
    Can be over driven for increased output but sacrifice some life(6-12 months)
    *All of tank has same PAR number at same heights
    Lower heat added to tank in general

Cons:
    No or little shimmer
    SPS coral is probably limited to 20", soft and LPS corals no limit really as far as I know
    Price concern over 60" wide tank (longest bulb is 60" so tanks wider will need twice the fixtures)

MH:
    Pros
    *Deeper penetration(High PAR right under bulb)
    able to cover front to back better than T5 (Cube tanks)
    Shimmer
    Can use less power if used with light mover

Cons
    Heat
    Bulb life (6-8 months)
    Limited color selection, will normally need supplemented with other light source
    *Higher light corals need to placed close to center of bulb as light PAR drops off fairly fast as you move away from the spot right under bulb

LED
    Pros
    Low heat transfer
    usually adjustable color
    high efficiency
    Shimmer

Cons
    Cost
    Unproven to grow corals well
    *I would wait, this is a new technology that is changing constally

VHO and PC
    I think these are pretty dead and do not advise getting them

*Side note:
    Some the Pros and Cons can be interchanged depending on your setups

10. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

We're on the right track now, you guys rock. I know I sometimes need small words and birght colors to understand some things, my motot is K.I.S.S.. Hopefully this will help out alot of people with a confusing subject.

11. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Not to sound ignerant, but what's wrong or is flawed about PC lighting.. just curious.

12. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

They work, the only problem with them is more than half the light is being blocked by the bulb so you need twice the power usage to get the same amount of light. You loose the light coming from the top of the bulb and a lot of the light that comes from the side where the 2 pieces sit next to each other even with a good reflector most of the light is just gonna bounce of the reflector and run right back into the bulb.